Talk

Advanced search

Night time potty training

(8 Posts)
SouthStar Sun 19-Jun-11 22:24:49

What is the average age for children to be dry through the night? I have a 3yr old and a 2yr old. Both out of nappies during the day.

Should I be encouraging them to come out of nappies at night aswell now? Or will it just happen in their own time?

It seems as tho if we put a pull up on them at night they stay dry but if we leave it, they have an accident.
We wake them up to go to the toilet but they are both very deep sleepers and once they are asleep its very hard to wake them up enough to see if they need to go to the toilet.

Any advise would be great

lorisparkle Sun 19-Jun-11 23:05:43

Ds1 still in pullups at 5 whereas ds2 is completely night time dry at 3. We tried ds1 but no one got any sleep and ds3 is still a baby. Ds2 was dry in pullups for about a month so we removed them with no accidents. We do nothing special - just biology!

jubilee10 Mon 20-Jun-11 21:26:45

Ds3 still in pullups and will be 5 next month. Ds1 out of nappies at night at 3 but had quite a lot of accidents until 4+ (I was clearly younger then and needed less sleep). Ds2 dry night and day before he was 3. Just go with the flow. I have never lifted any of them. Too frightened I won't get them back to sleep!

RitaMorgan Mon 20-Jun-11 21:30:13

I believe night time dryness is related to the development of some hormone, so there's not much training you can really do.

ceebeegeebies Mon 20-Jun-11 21:35:37

I have heard the same as Rita that they won't be dry until a particular hormone develops....and this could be any age upto 7.

Ds1 was in pull-ups upto 4.5...and we just noticed they were dry every morning so took them off. He has not had any accidents, we don't lift him (and quite often forget to tell him to go to the loo before bed blush) and h never gets up in the middle of the night for a wee. Absolutely no training required as he just 'got' it - presumably because the hormone arrived.

Would leave well alone if I was you grin

BoysAreLikeDogs Mon 20-Jun-11 21:35:43

you can't train for night time dryness, as Rita says it's hormone-driven depending on the child's body maturing and totally out of the child's control

I can't remember the stats exactly at the mo but it's something like at age 4 30% are not dry at night, 10% at age 10

prettyone Mon 20-Jun-11 21:59:08

Stick with the pullups.
My son was 8 until he was allways dry at night.
I would push fluids during the day, that way their bladder will become full more often. They will then experiance the sensation of what a full bladder feels like during the day. Then hopefully will recognise the feeling in thier sleep and wake themselves up! But carry on with pull ups. They are still very young x

SouthStar Thu 07-Jul-11 01:10:46

Thank you everyone, shall just leave them how they are then and go with the flow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now