Talk

Advanced search

worried how 8 month old will get on at nursery as still tends to need feeding to sleep

(8 Posts)
george210 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:06:57

I am returning to part time work (3 days a week) in two weeks time as money is tight, but I am worried about how my 8 month old will get on at nursery as she is a very poor sleeper and tends to need breastfeeding to sleep. She is a very active baby and does everything she can to fight sleep. She has never settled herself to sleep. We have tried letting her cry herself to sleep but are not comfortable with this approach as each time she became quite hysterical. She does have some quite good naps in the day but each time has to be fed to sleep and only settles easily in our bed. I was making good progress with the transition from moses basket to cot, but my mum died in February and I was so tired and emotionally drained it was easier for my daughter to co -sleep in our bed than have to keep getting upto her in the night when she woke. At present she wakes up about 4 times a night and is ready to get up very early every day (about 5.30am). She has been going to nursery twice a week for a couple of hours an afternoon to see how she gets on, and she has been fine but I think she does find it quite tiring. I am worried about how she will be if she has to go for a whole day - if necessary I will delay my return to work. If anyone has any advice I would be really grateful, as this is my first baby and I really want to do the best by her.
Also feeding her to sleep has tended to interfere with weaning her off breastfeeding as although she does have some drinks from a beaker in the day, I tend to end up latching her on again to get her to sleep which ends up defeating the purpose. Really appreciate any tips - thanks for listening.

RollingInTheAisles Sat 18-Jun-11 20:13:01

I know this sounds not likely but it's amazing how babies will do things at nursery they will never do at home. There's so many things I've been sure DD will not do or definitely would not do at home and she's been perfectly fine. Talk to them as it may help to alleviate your fears but I'm sure she'll surprise you.

Can you try a slightly longer day and build it up while you're still off work? They can encourage her to nap and if it doesn't happen it's a shorter day anyway.

cheerypip Sat 18-Jun-11 20:40:06

My little one (now 14.5 months) is still mostly fed to sleep when I am around, but she copes fine and sleeps really well at nursery (and this has been the case right from the start at 12 months), and they don't just leave her to cry. She does 3 long days at nursery (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday).

I think they have lots of different ways for getting little ones to sleep, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Hope this helps.

george210 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:41:04

Thats good to hear. They did say in passing at the nursery that she might learn from what the others are doing. Like your suggestion of trying a slighter longer day there before I'm back at work - just discussing possibility of that with my husband. Thanks for your reassurance - I have been fretting a bit about the situation. Will let you know how we go

RollingInTheAisles Sat 18-Jun-11 20:53:41

You'll worry about it until you do it and then it will just work out. In a month you'll be worrying about something else - the joy of parenting! I'm not saying this is not a valid worry, as I've definitely been there with this one but really think you'll be ok.

SESthebrave Sat 18-Jun-11 20:58:46

I was in exactly that position when I returned to work when DS was 9mo. I ended up still feeding him to sleep until he was about 18mo but after about a week, he had no problems settling to sleep at nursery!
There are quite a few things that he does at nursery that he doesn't do at home which is v frustrating! It seems to be a lot to do with peer pressure and he copies what the other LOs are doing.

Good luck!

george210 Sat 18-Jun-11 20:58:52

Already feel a bit better about the whole thing. Thank you for your support

BenRoo Thu 07-Jul-11 16:24:20

Hey
Just seen this thread and wondered how it went with your LO at nursery.
I also went back to work 3 days a week when my DS was 6 months old tho sad
I was worried about how he'd sleep and whether he'd take a bottle (as he had been refusing from myself & DH).
It all turned out fine in the end and I kinda wish I hadn't worried so much but as a previous poster has said that's the name of parenting!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now