Talk

Advanced search

10 year olds and teeth

(7 Posts)
Dancergirl Sat 18-Jun-11 13:45:16

Can you tell me how many teeth your 10 year old has lost and how many adult teeth they have?

Dd1 is 10 and has lost about 12 teeth. She has adult incisors at the front, 4 on the top and 4 on the bottom but no adult canines. The dentist told me that it's not unusual for a child this age not to have bottom canines but it is unusual not to have the top ones. So I'm a bit worried now. I didn't want to ask him anything further at the time as dd has severe dental phobia - at the appointment last week she finally let the dentist just look at her teeth sitting in the waiting room, and that was huge progress. She still found the whole experience distressing so I didn't want to make it any worse by worrying about her teeth.

Earlybird Sat 18-Jun-11 13:49:56

Why does she have severe dental phobia? Where does that come from at 10 years old?

Btw, my dd is 10.5 and has just lost her 13th tooth.

Dancergirl Sat 18-Jun-11 14:18:59

How many adult teeth does she have earlybird?

Re the dental phobia - no idea. She said 'no dentist' aged 2 when we took her for first appointment and even though dh and I have always been positive about the dentist, it's gone downhill from there. Luckily we have found a fantastically patient children's dentist so we're hoping that things will improve.

differentnameforthis Sat 18-Jun-11 14:57:24

Upper canines come in around 10 -12 & lower are usually coming in around 9 -12yrs. So there is no reason to panic yet. If your dentist was that concerned, he/she would have done a complete mouth xray.

This is form memory & confirmed in my dental nursing textbook.

differentnameforthis Sat 18-Jun-11 14:59:44

Sorry, wanted to continue that every child is different. Just as when they were babies & developed at a different rate, that continues.

My dd got her first adult molars through at 5 (1 yr early according to the norm) while her peers were losing their baby incisors. She lost her incisor later than they did..so it is all very individual.

differentnameforthis Sat 18-Jun-11 15:01:01

Meant to post this too! In my defence it is getting late here! smile

kreecherlivesupstairs Sun 19-Jun-11 05:58:18

My DD is 10.1 and has lost four teeth naturally and had four extracted by the dentist on the recommendation of an orthodontist.
She has such a tiny jaw and such big teeth he reckons it will cost us lots. She still has her baby canines as she had the ones next to them taken out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now