Talk

Advanced search

My 3 year old has started wetting herself!

(6 Posts)
gemmagrove1 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:30:04

In the absence of my health visitor (on annual leave) I wondered if any other mums out there could give me some advice - I'm at my wits end!
My 3 year old daughter, who potty trained relatively easily at 2 yrs 3 months has started wetting herself.
It began about a month ago and up until now, she's only been having accidents when at nursery. She had been fine there up until this point, but then every day she went she would let herself. She wouldn't even make any attempt to go to the toilet, she'd just stand there and do it!
I spoke to the nursery manager and they put up a special reward chart for her in the toilets and I had a good talk with her and things seemed to have settled down.
However, both days she went this week she wet herself, last night I scolded her and wouldn't let her watch her DVD player in bed.
Now this morning she has wet herself at home, something she hasn't done in months, she just sat on the sofa and did it without saying a word.
When I asked her why she did it she said she was just being naughty!
She seems in good health so I doubt a urine infection.
Is she just attention seeking or being naughty or what? Please help!!!

ShowOfHands Fri 17-Jun-11 11:32:20

I'd get her checked out at the GP just to make sure it isn't a grumbling infection.

It's fairly common for children to regress though and sometimes the reason's obvious, sometimes not. Any big changes recently? Anything worrying her? Still pooing reliably and comfortably?

moogalicious Fri 17-Jun-11 11:34:27

Get her checked out by gp just in case.

Don't tell her off, just go back to using reward chart. Ignore the accidents, no comment, get her to put wet clothes in machine and clean herself.

My dd did this twice after potty training, once when ds was born (age 2.3) and once when we moved house (age 3.6). I got really frustrated and did tell her off, but we got back on track when i eased off.

gemmagrove1 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:50:49

No big changes at home, just can't make it out.
I know I shouldn't tell her off but it's hard not too because I know she's more than capable of going to the toilet when she needs to.
I will try just ignoring the accidents and rewarding her when she goes to the toilet and see how she goes.
I do feel it's more of a behaviour issue than illness (when I spoke to her about it and asked if she wanted to be a big girl or a baby she said baby, eek!)

veritythebrave Fri 17-Jun-11 11:56:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gemmagrove1 Fri 17-Jun-11 15:23:49

Thanks peeps, finger crossed it's a short lived phase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now