Talk

Advanced search

9 year old says he's having panic attacks

(8 Posts)
Spidermama Wed 15-Jun-11 16:13:23

He says they always happen on his way home from school (a ten minute walk which he does on his own or with friends).

He describes feeling like he's giong to faint and every time someone passes him (be they grown ups or kids) he feels threatened.

He says it happens once or twice a fortnight and began a few weeks ago.

He's not normally stressed. In fact he's pretty easy going so I don't understand this.

carocaro Wed 15-Jun-11 17:41:38

Bullying? Or behavior like it on TV or something?

See something on TV about being snatched/kidknapped?

Can he find a mate to walk home with every time?

Worried about getting in at home?

Maybe some older kids have said something as they walked past?

Maybe meet him half way for a while (if you can)

DS1 is 9 and saw some dead body thing at the War Museum in London, freaked him out and he had nightmares and tears. He said he totally gets all the not real fantasy stuff Star Wars/Dr Who but the real thing, freaked him.

FYI - it was the spy bit of the museum, very interesting enigma code etc, but film at the end about the iran seige in London in the 80's, iteresting till the show the dead body half covered on a stretcher with his arms flapping down.

swanker Thu 16-Jun-11 14:41:23

Maybe take a trip to the GP, who could look at a CAMHS referral?

It sounds worrying for you though. Have there been any changes at home recently? Just wondering what may have been a trigger...

Spidermama Thu 16-Jun-11 14:47:51

Can't think of any changes. Except his dad has come home after 7 weeks away on tour but he's really excited about that.

I asked if it would help if I picked him up and he said 'no'. He fought hard for the right to walk home alone as his sister did.

swanker Thu 16-Jun-11 14:59:06

Maybe it is anxiety about his father working away again?
Children get het up about the most minor thing though... perhaps he once was spooked by a shadow going past the post box...?

I was fearful of a particular holly bush for 15 years as a child, because my party balloon popped on it on the way home when I was 4yo...smile

25goingon95 Fri 17-Jun-11 12:49:38

He may actually be afraid of fainting?
I say this because fainting was my phobia at the same age which then caused panic attacks. You feel like you will faint during a panic attack and it can be scary imagining that you will drop to the foor and faint.

ItDoesntBodenWell Fri 17-Jun-11 12:52:59

Low blood sugar? Give him a snack to have at the end of school?

SixtyFootDoll Fri 17-Jun-11 12:53:22

Is he hungry? If his blood sugars are low can make you feel faint and panicky, maybe he could have a snack to eat on way hom?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now