Talk

Advanced search

How to change nappy when baby is wriggly?

(52 Posts)
lottytheladybird Wed 15-Jun-11 13:44:58

Hi! Any tips on how best to change your baby's nappy when they want to wriggle around on the changing mat? My 11.5m old DS wants to start crawling around when I change his nappy these days. We have a mobile above his changing mat to keep him entertained. Plus, I give him a toy to play with as well, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. He can't stand without holding on, so changing him standing doesn't really work.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you! smile

MotherPanda Wed 15-Jun-11 13:49:30

Erm... maybe hand and feet cuffs - poke some holes into the changing mat, so you can lock him into place.

Or get your partner to hold him down..

erm...

I'd be very interested to know how you are meant to keep them still...

SilveryMoon Wed 15-Jun-11 13:52:44

I used stickers with both of mine.
I'd stick one to their arms, or face, or back of hands etc, then for a few minutes, they were trying so hard to get sticker off that it gave me a moment to change them without them moving.

Beamur Wed 15-Jun-11 13:54:12

Pull ups.
DD went through a wriggly phases too and I switched to pull ups as they were easier to get on.

tigana Wed 15-Jun-11 13:57:05

...with gritted teeth and determination?

or the sticker thing sounds good too!

beanlet Wed 15-Jun-11 14:09:13

Bumping for curiosity - I need the answer to this too! DS same age driving us demented with nappy-time shenannigans.

lottytheladybird Wed 15-Jun-11 14:11:05

So glad to hear I'm not the only one finding this a struggle!

The sticker thing sounds great. I'll give that a go next time I need to change DS's nappy.

WorrisomeHeart Wed 15-Jun-11 14:11:22

Agree re pull-ups, they make all the difference. And having a variety of small noise-making toys to hand can help too.

lottytheladybird Wed 15-Jun-11 14:13:31

A question for those who've gone through this stage with their babies: how long does this wriggly stage last??? Till they're potty trained? (I hope not!)

FoxyRevenger Wed 15-Jun-11 15:16:09

Oooh pull-ups? I had never thought of that!!!

I don't know how you are meant to keep them still, I can't keep her still for 2 minutes to get her dressed/hair and teeth brushed/anything at all. Every day is a battle joy. grin

WorrisomeHeart Wed 15-Jun-11 15:23:28

Umm my DS is 7.5mths and has been a wiggler since birth. The difference now is that he has coordination and intent!! I can't see it stopping any time soon...

QueenofDreams Wed 15-Jun-11 15:32:12

Um with DS I took to changing him on the floor and putting my feet on his shoulders to stop him flipping over (not hard or anything, just enough to keep him on his back)

Hullygully Wed 15-Jun-11 15:32:53

sit on them

bamboobutton Wed 15-Jun-11 15:37:08

i sit with my feet pinning her shoulders down.

lottytheladybird Wed 15-Jun-11 15:46:34

I fear I may get a face full of wee if I sat with my feet pinning DS's shoulders. Still, might risk it! shock

QueenofDreams Wed 15-Jun-11 16:39:57

lotty I somehow never did get a faceful of wee doing that. He did manage to wee in his own eye once though!

RitaMorgan Wed 15-Jun-11 16:43:05

I often resort to pinning them with feet on shoulders too - get it over and done with as quickly as possible.

HipHopOpotomus Wed 15-Jun-11 18:45:21

Have you tried changing them on/across your lap? Great technique I learnt from our childminder and limits wriggling. Just make sure you have nappy and wipes etc ready to go before hand!

beanlet Wed 15-Jun-11 19:58:58

Tried the feet on shoulders thing but felt guilty, like I was abusing him (I know, PFB). Will try again now I know it seems to be a tried and tested technique!

rollerbaby Wed 15-Jun-11 20:02:04

silvery moon that is hilarious. I am definitely remembering that one for when the time comes. I'm only at 7 months so far he grins if I sing at him..

SilveryMoon Wed 15-Jun-11 20:03:18

It was a tip I picked up here smile

Bumperlicioso Wed 15-Jun-11 20:03:45

My 8mo does this and I must admit I'm guilty of pinning her shoulders with my feet too!

Bumperlicioso Wed 15-Jun-11 20:04:58

Stickers! Genius! And far less like a prison guard grin

beanlet Wed 15-Jun-11 20:11:15

Actually, shoulder pinning also deals with his new little habit of sticking his hands in his poo/pulling his willy. Def retrying.

BertieBotts Wed 15-Jun-11 20:11:43

Feet on shoulders grin

I used to let DS hold onto the side of the bath or the coffee table and used pull-ups. From 9 months until 18 months, then he started to understand simple instructions and would lie down for me when I asked. He's 2.8 now and will lie down for a poo but for wet nappies he just stands up. I've learned to do normal nappies up while standing now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now