Talk

Advanced search

Why will DD not talk at nursery?

(9 Posts)
olivo Wed 15-Jun-11 13:16:49

DD2 is 22mo and says very few words. She has been referred to Audiology and SALT, appt in 6 weeks. AT home, she bables a lot ,knows lots of animal noises, uses the few words she does know a lot. At nursery, she will talk to her friends(mostly babbling) but will not talk to the adults. Her keyworker herard a very strong NO the other day nad said it was the first proper word she had heard. She sat with her yesterday nad read two of her favourite animla books but she did not utter a word.

Any idea why? she is quite shy but seems quite comfortable at the nursery. the minute she gets i nthe car she doesnt shut up!!

any stories or advice welcome!

olivo Wed 15-Jun-11 18:19:39

forgot to say, we did wonder if her late talking was because of her older sister who, quite frankly, never stops, but she is now talking a bit at home.

MrsBradleyCooper Wed 15-Jun-11 18:22:32

I am surprised that she has been referred at 22 months.

One of my friends ds did not utter a solitary word until he was 25 months and as far as I am aware there was no talk of referring him to anyone. He talks completely normally now, although he is quite a quiet/shy child.

I wouldn't be worried in the slightest tbh.

Ineedalife Wed 15-Jun-11 19:10:31

It is quite common for LO's of this age to not talk at nursery, how often does she go, some children I work with only do 1 or 2 sessions per week so they take ages to get to know us well enough to be confident.

Can she make her needs known without talking? Many children can by pointing or taking the adult to what they want.

You could try encouraging her to use speech by saying "Good talking" when she talks to you and ask the Staff at nursery to do the same, this could help her to realise that adults like to hear her talking.

Try not to worry too much she is very little to and she will get help from SALT if she needs itsmile.

olivo Wed 15-Jun-11 19:54:58

thanks guys. SHe is full time in nursery, and easily makes her needs known, pointing, taking people to what she wants or bringing something she wants. she answers yes and no if you ask her (but not at nursery!). She is a happy little thing, with a great sense of humour, it saddens me that she is not sharing with others, they see a totally different side of her to us. It could be shyness though, as apparently the one day they have less children in, she was far more noisy with her friends.

I like the good talking idea. she has today said the name of her friend who she worships, she is nearly a year older - i clapped when she said it and she did like that (two syllables too!!)

Ineedalife Wed 15-Jun-11 21:45:19

A little girl I work with rarely speaks when all the children are around but when some of them go outside to play she suddenly comes to life and starts chatting and laughing. I think groups can be really hard for some LO's.

It sounds like she wants to communicate and is doing so at home, so thats a good start.

Good lucksmile.

olivo Thu 16-Jun-11 20:38:05

Thanks, Ineedalife, thanks reassuring to know. Today she said "baby" and when they all praised her, she didnt stop repeating it grin

Chundle Thu 16-Jun-11 20:58:29

My dd is 22 months as well and says not many words. She will be completely mute for hours if we have visitors or in the company of others. She has been referred to salt and we have had two sessions. They said she has oral motor difficulties

olivo Fri 17-Jun-11 20:54:18

HI Chundle, sounds very similar. at home DD won't talk when we have vistitors either. DId they say if they can help ,and how and when she might improve?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now