Talk

Advanced search

ten week old stares into space,and looks vacantly at everything... Normal??

(6 Posts)
hippy3 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:26:30

Hi I have ten week old twin boys (born 4 and a half weeks early) The one little one stares at me constantly and follows me around the room.... when I sit infront of him he literally just stares at me all the time.
His brother seems to be looking every where else...out the window into a specific corner of the room, and anywhere but at me !!! he looks at me if im sat infront of him sometimes, and if I put him on my lap..... but he seems to stare at the corner of the room all the time.... he has smiled at us but just does not seem as focused as his brother..... he does make the cutest noises and knows our voices as he kicks his legs and moves his arms when we are near him...Is this something I need to be concerned about??? or am I being over anxious..... I just dont know what is normal????

He seems in a trance sometimes....???

Thanks for the help......

Madlizzy Tue 14-Jun-11 20:28:19

Given that their corrected age is only 5 1/2 weeks, and it can take six weeks for a baby to be able to focus, I'd not worry too much. Just remember that everything is absolutely fascinating and amazing to a baby.

Nickoka Tue 14-Jun-11 20:33:48

As a mum of twins I can say that there is a definite downside in terms of being able to compare them. Firsly if your boys were born early, they are really very 'new' still and their development will be more like 6 weeks than 10. The fact the boy you're worried about knows your voices is very reassuring.

Just give them lots of love and time to grow up! Also if you are worried talk to the Health Visitor. ( I managed to get mine to come to me for quite a lot longer than singleton mums.)

TAMBA is good. They have a 'twinline' you can phone if you want to talk about anything. Good luck with it all.

catinthehat2 Tue 14-Jun-11 20:40:11

"he does make the cutest noises and knows our voices as he kicks his legs and moves his arms when we are near him"

the guy is 10 weeks, he sounds terrific!
sit back & enjoy - he's worked out legs, voices, arms already, so eyes will be soon

sdotg Tue 14-Jun-11 20:52:17

I confess to being in tears asking the doctor same question about DS, who was 4.5 weeks prem.
She kindly explained that to him a door knob was the most fascinating thing in the world.
With premies you have to keep applying their adjusted ages, up until about 11 months for us. Makes those first 12 weeks even longer and you have twins!
My v small sample of people with twins tends to either be identical in development or totally different. A chum has 1 year olds with one that crawls and another that can't be bothered.
Good luck, you're doing great

hippy3 Wed 15-Jun-11 14:00:25

thanks for the reassurance ...... sorry i its the new mum thing.. i actually spoke to the hv today and she said its totally normal..... so feel fine about it all today. id never even held a baby before my two.... so i really dont know what a baby can and cant do !!!! im sure ill be on here again with another query soon enough ...thanks again !!! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now