Talk

Advanced search

worried I can't get my purees smooth enough!

(12 Posts)
Moulesfrites Mon 13-Jun-11 21:04:16

So dh and I have just spent most of our evening boiling and blending various fruits and vegetables to put in little freezer pots in preparation for weaning ds in a few weeks time. (He is currently 20 weeks).

According to Annabel Karmel the consistency should be like yoghurt, but some of the purees are nowhere near that smooth - eg pear is more like pear mash than pear puree. Will this still be ok to start ds on?

At this point I am definitely seeing the attraction of BLW, but we had planned on doing more of a combination approach of purees and finger foods.

Mummyloveskisses Mon 13-Jun-11 21:33:45

My purees weren't all smooth, I had the same problem and DD and DS2 were fine with them (incase your wondering there is a 10 year gap from DS1 and DD and I wasn't as domesticated back then)

coffeewhitenosugar Mon 13-Jun-11 21:35:01

Hi, I did the same as you and some of my purees were mash-like and both dd's were absolutely fine, weaned really easily and now love their food. Some babies don't like the lumps but I heard of one recently who would only eat lumpy food! In my experience they just loved eating real food so much and experiencing new tastes the consistency wasnt really an issue. If you are worried you could always push it through a sieve just to make sure. Hope this is helpful and good luck.

emsies Mon 13-Jun-11 21:47:13

One problem with very smooth purees is that some children find it hard to make the leap to lumpier things, so if your child can manage lumpy go for it!

Have you seen any of the babyledweaning articles? Once you get to 6 months you can try finger foods smile

chirpchirp Tue 14-Jun-11 14:26:40

I would recommend keeping them a little lumpy. Not long been weaning DS1 myself and after a week of completely pureed stuff he started to turn his nose up at anything that wasn't totally smooth in consistency, decided to put a stop to that pronto! I'm trying the same thing doing a combination of BLW and to be honest the BLW is so much easier. We now just put aside a small portion of whatever we're having for dinner and he gets that for lunch the next day.

DS1 never had anything that smooth, except actual yoghurt!

We gave him a few mushed up bits of fruit and veg just the get the idea, and then moved straight to just fingers foods and our meals mashed with a fork.

mrsgordonfreeman Tue 14-Jun-11 14:38:32

as far as I know from 24 weeks they can cope with some lumps. The smooth purees are for babies who are fed solids from 4 months.

Annabel Karmel... well. If you can cope with your baby either turning their nose up at the first spoon of your painstakingly prepared purees or throwing the lot on the floor, I salute you.

I'm far too lazy to make up puree to a recipe.

DialsMavis Tue 14-Jun-11 20:44:38

You really don't need to worry as by 6 months they can handle some lumps. DD actually could only do lumpy stuff; puree just fell out of her mouth. DD didn't do too well with BLW so I just give her what we are having but mashed up a bit with this . I give lots of finger foods too.

Continuum Tue 14-Jun-11 21:13:55

I never even thought of doing purees! Just mashed stuff up. How on earth did babies manage before blenders?!?

25goingon95 Wed 15-Jun-11 12:44:19

I too recommend leaving food a little lumpy! I blended DD1's food to death, no lumps or bits to be seen there!! And guess what, we had major trouble getting her to eat lumpier food and finger foods and we got to the point where at 2 years old the only food she would eat was from a baby jar!!! She is still very fussy at 5yo and doesn't like things like cottage pie because of the bits!

DD2 on the other hand, she went straight on to mashed food. She will eat absolutely anything now and loves finger foods!

Lesson learned! smile

MamaLazarou Wed 15-Jun-11 13:20:28

I really wouldn't worry about it, OP.

Paschaelina Wed 15-Jun-11 13:22:53

Never puree'd a thing here. Don't own a blender. Just mashed it up a bit at first. Boy is still alive and well. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now