Talk

Advanced search

grunting dd! i need some sleep!

(9 Posts)
Whenisitmysleepytime Mon 13-Jun-11 10:53:39

dd is 7wks and lovely but colicy. she also grunts ALL day long when sleeping. fine for daytime but at night we don't get ANY sleep after she wakes for her first night feed.

i'm sure it's a phase but any advice other than wait for it to pass would be fab! smile

debbie1412 Mon 13-Jun-11 11:27:07

I put my son into his own room at 7 months, i wasnt sleeping either because i would flinch at his every movement and sound, we also found he slept a little longer aswel so we must of been disturbing him also. As for the grunting Daniel did that also turned out i was eating to much dairy and drinking fizzy water and he was struggling to digest that and it was making him grunt all the more, prob no good to you but worth offering the info just incase lol

debbie1412 Mon 13-Jun-11 11:27:36

sorry i meant 7 weeks!

ThePippy Mon 13-Jun-11 13:42:14

I put my DD in her own room from 8 weeks as she kept me awake constantly, mainly because I was hyper sensitive to every noise, and it wasn't doing either of us any good. Almost as soon as she moved (which coincided with the move from moses basket to her cot bed) she started sleeping better and was going through the night without a feed (from 10/11pm until 7am) within the week. This was amazing given she never was a big milk drinker so I was sure she would not go through the night as she was having significantly less milk in 24hrs than all guides stated, but she was fine and grew perfectly normally.

I knew she should stay with us for longer for SIDS risk, but we followed every other bit of SIDS advice so I wasn't to concerned.

It was a revelation having a decent night sleep - made everything else a million times easier.

yawningbear Mon 13-Jun-11 14:03:48

DS was a prolific grunter, he was so noisy I thought there must be something wrong with him as DD although a screamer had never grunted. His nickname was piglet for the first few weeks. He is now 16 weeks and not a grunt to be heard, I miss it actually although he is still quite snuffly but I think that is just because he picks up colds from DD. I am not sure quite when it subsided, maybe around 11-12 weeks. Sorry, I don't think there is anything you can do to stop it, maybe get some earplugs, that way grunting should be muffled but you will still her if she cries. Or as others have said move her to her own room, then once it subsides you could always move her back again.HTH.

happygilmore Mon 13-Jun-11 14:40:42

Not much you can do I don't think - DD was the same but it did pass. Maybe ear plugs?

pettyprudence Mon 13-Jun-11 21:45:35

Earplugs have been our saviour here. Ds 11 wks and very noisy sleeper after is 4am feed hmm

mrshotrod Sun 19-Jun-11 22:36:27

We had one of these. Goat boy we called him. By three weeks old we felt like terribly evil parents but husband couldn't sleep, so we moved his mosses basket into the cot in 2nd bedroom, a floor below our room! The monitor was turned up full wac, enough to hear everything more than the grunting. By 3am ish feed he was usually back in our room, but to start off every night, we could only sleep by not having him in with us. Once we'd decided that it was probably fairly normal and that he wasn't ill etc, we relaxed and stopped worrying about it. It was actually quite funny, he really did sound like a little grunting goat. It seemed to stop by eight weeks or so.

Rosemallow Sun 19-Jun-11 22:42:09

DS was a grunter! He also used to squeak and squeal like a puppy when sleeping!
He grew out of it quite early on (10-12 weeks) and now sleeps quietly and contentedly.
No advice but it was infinitely preferable to DD who didn't sleep through and screamed rather than grunted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now