Talk

Advanced search

three year old speech

(7 Posts)
skybluepearl Fri 10-Jun-11 20:52:57

Just wondering whats normal for a three year olds speech? What sort of language they use and the legnth of sentences? Son is about to turn 3 this month. His older brother is 8 now and he was very differnt as a three year old. I know they are all different but I'm still interested in what the normal range is.

vintageteacups Fri 10-Jun-11 21:19:39

Huge range - why do you think his speech may not be normal?

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:24:58

My daughter is 2.5. I took her to speech therapy in March as I had concerns, but was told she is now on the normal spectrum, and I am seeing an improvement everyday. She can say short sentences such as "daddy is a ratbag", "where is my dolly"," wheres my ice-cream". Her vocabulary isn't too bad, can name most things although the pronunciation isn't great. She can also count to ten and knows her colours/ animals etc. I have been told this is about right for her age. She can not have a full, clear conversation.

vintageteacups Fri 10-Jun-11 21:29:53

DS (now 6) has just been taken off the speech therapy list. He's been having it since he was about 2.5.

He found the beginnings and endings of words tricky and still has trouble fully saying sh and th (th is very normal to be said as f until about 6/7 yrs).

He could chat away to his hearts content from about 2.5/3 but we couldn't clearly understand him - especially on the phone.

If you're concerned, ask your HV to do a simple test and she'll know if there is cause for concern.

skybluepearl Fri 10-Jun-11 21:31:05

... thinking that maybe my eldests speech wasn't normal. I considered him to be quiet and reflective but now i'm actually wondering if he was a bit behind speech wise. He is still quiet now really. My second seems so much more vocal but maybe thats a second child thing more than anthing?

scarlettsmummy2 Fri 10-Jun-11 21:33:30

my daughter also saw an audiologist, everything was fine, but I insisted on it as i thought that may have been a reason why her pronunciation was poor- it wasn't. But if you do have concerns it may be worth considering.

RedHotPokers Fri 10-Jun-11 21:35:36

I think it depends on child - my DD (DC1) talked MUCH earlier than DS (DC2).

DD was talking in full sentences by 2yo. She hasn't shut up for more than one waking minute since about 1.5yo grin!
DS is 2.2yo and has about 20 or so words. He struggles with beginnings and ends of words, but has started to pick up pace learning new ones and improving pronunciation (HV wants to see him again at 2.5 to see if he needs SALT support).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: