Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions please for good child development book for parents

(6 Posts)
SusannahSpoon Fri 10-Jun-11 09:30:10

It has taken me 10 months of twin motherhood to be able to face another book on parenting, having been engulfed in every early parenthood book available on the market and purchased by a helpful boyfriend trying to prevent us from being totally clueless parents. In my humble opinion, one vital tip missing from the vast majority of books is to not worry too much about all the best practice so well documented or when your baby deviates from the pattern.
I now feel ready and keen to digest a good book on early child development for parents which will help us play with the babies in a creative and fun but generally constructive way. Does anyone have any good suggestions as my research so far suggests this is another subcategory of parenting books on which there are too many books to choose from or to have the time to read? I don't want to have to buy and dip into 10 before finding a goodie.
Thanks in advance.

monkoray Fri 10-Jun-11 10:14:22

Rather than one book i have found some amazingly creative websites which often have a 'search by age' for ideas.
I particularly like this site
theadventuresofbear.blogspot.com/search/label/10%20months
and this one (i avoid the religious stuff as its not for me but the creative ideas are amazing)
The treasure baskets on this page are lovely
www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/Articles/Treasure_basket
and this one has links to lots of different ideas
Have a look at raisingplayfultots.com/rptindex/raising-playful-tots-index0

A great book on Twins which has interesting insites into development right up to teen years is 'How Twins Grow Up' by Mary Rosambeau. Its out of print but its available on amazon.

Helzapoppin Fri 10-Jun-11 10:16:11

I love William and Martha Sears 'The baby book'- it's a general book which goes up to the age of two, but is huge and has lots of information about baby and toddler social, language and cognitive development and activites you can do to support your chidlren's development.

monkoray Fri 10-Jun-11 10:26:24

sorry i missed off the one that has the religious bit. Its this www.1plus1plus1equals1.com/index.html
but like i say their creative and play ideas are really good.

Tweetinat Fri 10-Jun-11 11:53:39

Fabulous links monkoray - I'm inspired smile

Octaviapink Fri 10-Jun-11 13:55:02

The Sears book is good, I agree.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: