Talk

Advanced search

Hand Eating 9 Week Old!

(11 Posts)
VictoriaMc77 Fri 10-Jun-11 08:06:40

Hi,

Am confused!! My 9 week old DS has started eating his hand. This can happen at any time, even just after a feed.

Do you think it means he's hungry or just doing it to amuse himself? He is EBF and I offer him boob if I see him doing it after a feed but he doesn't want it ...

I have asked 2 HVs about it and both said something different - one said definitely hungry and one said no, just playing with his hands etc ... hence confused!!

What do you think???? I am starting to worry I am not giving him enough milk...??

Thanks!

Tee2072 Fri 10-Jun-11 08:09:37

I think he's teething. Yes, at 9 weeks. It can happen.

I doubt he's hungry if he's rejecting a breast.

And it is also a development thing and part of discovering his world.

sweetuphoria Fri 10-Jun-11 08:31:47

I think he is teething too. They can be like this for months before a tooth comes through.

pettyprudence Fri 10-Jun-11 10:31:39

my ds does this too and having read penelope leach I think he is just exploring his hands - they start to discover them at 8 weeks and apparently the mouth is the best place to explore them hmm He seems to be enjoying himself though!

websticks Fri 10-Jun-11 12:44:03

Its very normal for babies to suck there hands, it could be teething or exploring their hands. As they get a little old they will put everything in their mouth it is a natural sign of development.
If he is sucking his hand and crying then i would like he was maybe hungry but if he is just sucking it then he is just entertaining himself and exploring it.

skybluepearl Fri 10-Jun-11 13:06:10

teething and discovered his hand maybe.

skybluepearl Fri 10-Jun-11 13:06:40

hes haivng as much milk as he needs i'm sure.

RitaMorgan Fri 10-Jun-11 13:08:35

Babies suck their hands - could be hunger, teething, exploring or just because he can.

If he wants more milk he'll let you know.

valentinemum10 Sun 12-Jun-11 03:01:19

all of the above cos my DD did the same at 10 weeks.

debka Sun 12-Jun-11 06:58:24

Just to be annoying- my DD would suck her hands when she was tired....

zippy30 Thu 16-Jun-11 11:05:51

Bit late replying to this thread, but I just wanted to say that my 11 week old is the same. He's been sucking on his hands for a couple of weeks now. It doesn't seem to bother him - in fact it seems to comfort him if he's trying to get off to sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now