Talk

Advanced search

Swearing - please tell me they forget?

(3 Posts)
FessaEst Thu 09-Jun-11 12:16:29

I am feeling awful. My 18 month old has just started swearing - always in an appropriate context. I am pretty sure it must come from me, though I don't notice I am doing it. I have done my best to ignore it and distract, but DH reacted when he first heard her, and I think that's made her realise there's something in what she said, so she has repeated it.

Is it best to ignore and hope she forgets, or should I make a fuss, and let her know these words are unacceptable - risking drawing attention to them? (And obv will clean up my act from now on).

I feel so bad, and anxious that she will say something at playgroup/with friends sad

Ragwort Thu 09-Jun-11 12:19:56

Love the comment that there is an 'appropriate context' for an 18 month old child to swear grin.

I would let her know that those words are unacceptable if she uses them again - and stop swearing yourself. If she doens't hear those words, she won't use them and is young enough to (hopefully) forget swear words.

FessaEst Thu 09-Jun-11 12:21:57

As in, you know what she means because it's when something gets stuck/dropped etc, rather than me thinking it is appropriate for her to swear at all in any circumstance!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: