Talk

Advanced search

Diarrhoea in 11 month old, is it teething?

(3 Posts)
Holly66 Wed 08-Jun-11 12:38:07

Sorry everyone, horrible subject! DS is 11 months and has just got over chicken pox. He had a temperature for one day and about 20 spots, we were very lucky! He has just got his 3rd tooth and I think another one is coming through.

I am concerned because he has had very explosive stools since yesterday morning which is very unlike him. He doesn’t have a temperature, is still eating but not as much and seems ok. He has been a bit more un-settled but that could just be down to teething. I’m just wondering if the diarrhoea could be being caused by teething or whether he’s ill and I should take him to the doctor? When his bottom teeth came through his stools didn’t change but I don’t know if different teeth cause different symptoms.

Anyone else have experience of this?

I know I should probably just take him to the doctors but we’ve been there 4 times in the past 2 weeks and we always have to wait ages, last time an hour!, so its not very nice and I’d rather not do it if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BigBadBear Wed 08-Jun-11 12:42:54

If he seems OK and isn't being sick or lethargic, then I'd wait a bit longer. Keep him off dairy if you can and hopefully it will settle down.

ShowOfHands Wed 08-Jun-11 12:43:22

Regardless of what's causing the diarrhoea, the GP will just advise to make sure he's hydrated, perhaps avoid dairy and keep an eye. If he has no temp and is still drinking and eating then I wouldn't be too worried.

It's oft said that teething does not cause any illness and you should assume any illness at the time of teething is a separate thing.

But dd always had acid like nappies when cutting teeth, presumably from the excess drool.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: