Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok for my 4 year old to still sleep in a cotbed?

(11 Posts)
coffeecake Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:20

It sounds like a bit of a silly question but the reason why I ask is because we want to change his cotbed mattress (which he has had since he was born) as it has started to dip in the middle but I am wondering if cotbed mattresses are still adequate for 4 year olds (he weighs about 18 kilos).
I don't want to change the bed as it is a good one from John Lewis and it fits DS' small bedroom.

Waswondering Tue 07-Jun-11 21:41:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WishIWasRimaHorton Tue 07-Jun-11 21:45:58

my 4yr old weighs 4 stone and has just moved into a single bed only in the last month. he is huge tho - off the scale for reception year in terms of height / weight and not 5 till next month. he could no longer stretch out in his cot bed - hence the move to a single.

assuming your 4-yr old isn't as giant as mine, you are probably fine for a good while yet!

coffeecake Wed 08-Jun-11 13:48:09

Fantastic thanks, I was thinking about the weight as well. The length will definately be ok for another couple of years.

UniS Wed 08-Jun-11 19:02:45

5 yr old DS is still on a cotbed mattress. I turn it regularly. We will get him a big bed when he gets too tall.

JemimaMop Wed 08-Jun-11 19:06:29

My 5 year old DD is still on a cotbed mattress. She is quite small though, weighs about 16kg. I think she will still fit in the bed for a couple of years yet!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Wed 08-Jun-11 19:06:57

If it's any help, my (admittedly shortish) 7 year old is still able to fit into his younger sister's John Lewis toddler bed perfectly well, so long as you have a decent mattress you should definitely get another couple of years out of it length wise.

tvfriend Wed 08-Jun-11 19:08:59

I often find myself sleeping in DS's cotbed (usually at 4 in the morning) and I am 41...sort of fit if my curl my legs round a bit smile

Hulababy Wed 08-Jun-11 19:10:27

DD's friend was in a toddler length bed til nearly 6y as she had a small room. They moved that year and she got a new bed then.

Makinglists Wed 08-Jun-11 19:13:37

Ds1 was in his until he was 3mths short of 5 - the only reason we moved him out was we needed it for DS2. If we hadn't have needed it for DS2 I would have thought it would have another2/3yrs life left in it (length wise)

UniS Wed 08-Jun-11 19:37:15

forgot to say
DS is about 21kg and its only a cheap foam mattress. dent is bearable with turning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: