Talk

Advanced search

Teething going on forever

(7 Posts)
NellyE Tue 07-Jun-11 19:36:03

How long is teething meant to last? My dd has been teething for about 2 months now, and has 2 teeth to show for it. She had a few days where she seemed back to her normal self, and now it's started up again with the grumpiness, excessive dribbling etc etc. All my friend's babies seem to be grumpy for a couple of days and then up pops a tooth. Is it really meant to take this long? Please reassure me that it's not just her and she will go back to her normal, cheery self eventually!

(Not sure if this was the right place to post this)

MrsJamin Tue 07-Jun-11 19:46:55

2months seems quite quick to be honest! DS2 was teething about 6 months for 8 teeth, yes it does go on forever, I just keep up with medication to get him through it as otherwise he doesn't sleep or eat well. You have my sympathies!

notasausage Tue 07-Jun-11 19:52:42

It does go on for ages, then you get a bit of a break, then if I remember right some pre-molars and canines then a big break then some molars. We were all done by age 2 but it can take a lot longer than that. Good luck.

NellyE Tue 07-Jun-11 20:15:36

SIX MONTHS?!
I'm moving out.

emmyloo2 Wed 08-Jun-11 08:13:36

It's hideous isn't it. My DS is 6.5 months and has 2 teeth. He has been grumpy for about the last week. Before that it was on and off, day-by-day. It just makes him unsettled, mainly during the day. I sometimes give him baby panadol at night and he has a teething ring.

He also has discovered squealing so I am dealing with a squealing grumpy baby. Not a great combination. I am counting down until we hit 12 months and hoping it will get better then...... hmm

sarahtigh Wed 08-Jun-11 20:30:57

dentist here on average last baby tooth arrives at 2.5 years, the first tooth at anywhere between 4-10 months but most at 6-8 months, teething itself is generally in short bursts of 2-5 days then goes away again, if it persistent for over a week it is almost certainly not teething , teething is blamed for nearly everything but teething will cause some pain hence problems with sleeping and being grumpy, also go off solid food or lumps as it hurts gums can make them grumpy as well also that can make diarrhoea worse as more liquid and less food use baby bongela NOT THE ADULT VERSION which is unsuitable and calpol can help as well but if it lasts ages without a break get child checked as it may be masking something else
teething does not cause coughs colds etc, put teething ring in fridge then give it them some have a liquid in whichg can be frozen the coldness numbs gum and so relieves pain temporarily

rattling Thu 09-Jun-11 12:04:38

I have twin 2 year olds. One popped each tooth after a day or two of dribbling, the other I could see/feel teeth under the gums but it was weeks of dribble and fist chewing before it came through (and then we were onto the next ones). Strangely his pre-molars came through without a fuss, but the molars are just starting and the nightmare begins again! Sorry grin. Doesn't make sense, but they both seemed to get more snuffly when teething. The teething gel makes a big difference. As does calpol, but it is difficult when you seem to be using that constantly.

The front teeth were the worst though, after that they coped with a better temper, it was mainly the constant dribbling that I struggled with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: