Talk

Advanced search

13 month old night feeds

(16 Posts)
jsp56 Mon 06-Jun-11 21:29:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngelDog Mon 06-Jun-11 23:07:15

Yep - one here at 17 months. It was more at 13 months.

5 hours sounds like a lot of daytime nap sleep at that age - most children would have 2-3 hours, spread across 2 naps, perhaps just one.

jsp56 Mon 06-Jun-11 23:34:07

farrowandballs Tue 07-Jun-11 00:39:59

I'm night feeding 11 mo A LOT and always have. We bed share so not sure how much she feeds but pretty sure it's about 4 or 5 times a night. I night weaned DS at 15/6 mo (although continued feeding til 24 mo). If you do want to night wean, what I did was get DP to put him to bed and moved him into his own room. Practising getting them to sleep not by feeding helps. The No Cry Sleep Solution has a lot of useful advice too. HTH. Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree by going off on one about night weaning. Feeding during the night is no big issue unless you don't want to though, esp if you bedshare. I can't imagine being bothered to night wean DD <lazy emoticon>.

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 07-Jun-11 06:32:42

At 13m i was very much feeding ds in the night (cosleeping so like farrow no big deal) and sometimes even getting up to give him sandwiches etc! I am pg so maybe this is due to low supply? Any way, he went through a difficult sleep patch just after that and then, all of a sudden. Ta da! He sleeps through...or has been doing for a few weeks so touch wood. smile

Imo he needed the cals then, thus the solids some nights. But he got to a point where he didn't and hey presto, sleep. So much for that "rod for my back" then. wink

Imo they will grow out of everything (as long as they feel secure) so don't feel pressured to night wean unless you want to!

mamacheeks Tue 07-Jun-11 08:01:22

13 mo at least 2 feeds a night here. Not co-sleeping. Good to hear the reassurance moonface! How old is your DS now?

jsp56 Tue 07-Jun-11 08:47:45

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Tue 07-Jun-11 14:06:57

mamacheeks he's 15m, smile

Personaly i could never ever do cc either op. Stick to your guns. You only get one shot at raising each child so do it the way you want to. You sound like a lovely mum. Try and find others in rl who parent in a similar way, it's a life saver imo!

jsp56 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:54:52

AngelDog Tue 07-Jun-11 22:16:53

Gah, I composed what I thought was a helpful post and the internet went down and lost it. angry

I agree with MoonfaceMama <waves>. DS was waking 3-5 times a night at that age: he didn't need the calories IMO (at 7 months he was waking just once a night) but he did need help to move between sleep cycles and often only bf would do that.

At 14 months he got ill and started sleeping more soundly. That'd happened before, and when he got better, the waking resumed. This time it didn't, and for the last 3 months his default pattern is one feed when I go to bed (we co-sleep). If he were still waking lots now, I'd just keep feeding and wouldn't be worrying about night weaning, as co-sleeping and feeding is sooo much easier IMO. I wouldn't consider CC either.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution does have some good ideas though if you want to do something. At 7 months I used them to help DS go from 6-7 feeds to just one a night.

OP, I wonder though whether your DS's unusual napping pattern is a factor. A majority of children who have 2 naps do so on a roughly 2-3-4 pattern: first nap 2 hours after waking (30 mins - 1.5 hours ish), second nap 3 hours after waking (1.5-2 hours ish), bedtime 4 hours after waking.

When they drop to one nap, it's often something like nap 4 or 5 hours after waking, sleep for a couple of hours, then bedtime 5 or 6 hours after waking.

The sleep books I've read suggest that by that kind of age, naps of more than 2 (or maybe 3) hours are likely to interfere with night sleep.

I think the 4 hour evening nap is actually him thinking it's night time/bedtime. Getting him properly up for dinner after that may be disrupting his body clock as exposure to light just before / during the night messes with melatonin levels, which messes up the body clock.

I'm guessing your DS has an hour's nap in the middle of the day? My bet would be that he would benefit from sleeping longer then (maybe it needs to be later to get a longer nap). Most babies that age need more than an hour's sleep during the day, and get overtired without more - which often leads to more night wakings.

Then he probably could do with a later bedtime (dinner first of course) and resettling as if it's nighttime when he wakes at his usual 'dinner' time. I reckon it'd take a few days to adjust but might help him at night. Of course, it might not reduce the night wakings but I think it would help his body clock.

HTH

What time does he normally get up for the day / nap?

jsp56 Tue 07-Jun-11 22:23:06

AngelDog Tue 07-Jun-11 22:45:10

Sympathies - DS has been a tricky day sleeper for much of his life.

You could try a pram rocker - at least one fellow MN'er whose DD would only stay asleep for as long as the pram was moving reports that she sleeps fine at home with this thing going. (She's around 16 months old now.)

Even if he only sleeps an hour at lunchtime, I'd try to keep him going till bedtime at around 6pm and give him dinner first. I think what's happening is that he's in that horrible transition between needing one and two naps. One nap means that he gets tired in the late afternoon, but two naps means he doesn't want to go to bed till really late at night.

It's miserable - only one nap means overtiredness so it messes with the nights. Two naps means a really late bedtime (which can also mess with the nights) and not enough total sleep (ie sleep deprivation).

If you do go for the 2 nap option for a while, I'd wake him up after the second nap after no more than an hour.

DS used to nap for 30 mins in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, but it got to the stage where he'd then want to go to bed at night at about 10pm. So I cut down the second nap - first to 1.5 hours, then to 45 mins to get bedtime earlier. When bedtime again crept to a time that was too late for me to get an evening free, I switched to one nap and bedtime at about 6.30pm.

(Just by way of comparison, DS was up at 7am, napping at 9.30 and 1.30ish, then when he changed to one nap, it would be at 11am at first.)

I should probably have gone to one nap sooner but I have a dreadful fear of him getting overtired as that's been the cause of lots of his sleeping problems. Sticking with 2 naps for so long meant he wasn't overtired (awake for too long at once) but he was sleep deprived (not enough total sleep).

jsp56 Thu 09-Jun-11 20:30:04

missingmyflatbelly Thu 09-Jun-11 22:01:47

I have a 13mo and we co sleep cos he's still waking up at night. Things are better tho-he used to wake 8 times a night confused now it's more like 4-5

AngelDog Thu 09-Jun-11 22:59:22

Depending on exactly how old he is you could also be suffering from the run-up to the 55 week developmental spurt, which messes up sleep (more info here and here).

Teething is horrible, horrible too - hope your night isn't too bad.

jsp56 Sat 11-Jun-11 12:44:13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now