Talk

Advanced search

To playgroup or not to playgroup

(6 Posts)
gymbabe Mon 06-Jun-11 20:33:57

My 2 year old DS is warm, funny, clever, entertaining and lovely - until he gets around other children. It began about 2 months ago (I can't really pinpoint any specific event) when any other kids would make him wail and cry incessently. It got to the point where we couldn't take him to any of his activities or even to a playground. Its taken A LOT of patience and hard work but we finally have him back in all his activities and he's fine as long as no kids come near him. Its starting to impact on my social life as I can't meet up with friends who have kids as he kicks off and its just not fun for anyone. We were hoping to put him into a playgroup soon but I just can't see him in a room full of other kids. I don't know whether to tough it out with him and make him do it or to hold onto him until its time for nursery when he has more language and I can explain whats going on to him. Has anyone had/is having the same problem? Any advice or experience will be gratefully recieved.

Tgger Mon 06-Jun-11 22:51:09

How old is he? I would probably wait a couple of months before playgroup. They can change a lot in a few months, so depending on when his birthday is there might be a middle way- playgroup but not yet?

I wouldn't "make him do it"-not if there's an easier path by waiting a while.

gymbabe Tue 07-Jun-11 08:54:41

He's just 2. I'm beginning to think that aswell.

Tgger Tue 07-Jun-11 11:20:53

Yes, they change loads from 2 to 2 and a half. Most are much more ready for playgroup at nearer 2 and a half or even 3.

BlueberryPancake Tue 07-Jun-11 14:34:59

Can you do activities (like story time or song time) where your son wouldn't have to 'interact' directly with other children but he would be in the same room as other children. Something like Jo Jingles with songs and dance or something similar. I think it would be important not to isolate him from other children completely but not to impose playing with other children if he's not ready. Playgroups are hard because of the sharing of toys etc.

gymbabe Tue 07-Jun-11 20:39:28

We do loads and always have done. I don't really know what's spooked him. my HV says we do too much - go figure!
I'm going to a playgroup open day on thurs to have a look around and I'll have a chat to them about it. I think I might hang onto him until after Christmas and see what the humour is like then.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: