Talk

Advanced search

Withdrawn 21 month-old

(7 Posts)
guyshahar Sun 05-Jun-11 09:01:46

Hi

Our son, Daniel, was always a happy, communicative boy, but in the past 3-4 months he has become much more withdrawn from us. He now rarely makes eye-contact, which he used to thrive on, unless he occasionally decides it is part of a game he wants to play. He still plays with us, but much less often, and without looking directly at us. He knows his name, but chooses not to respond to it - almost as if he has not heard it, though we know there is not a problem with his hearing. He also has not started speaking yet, or even showing understanding of our simple communications, unless they are to stop doing something.

It seems he has less fun in general now - he is less active with his toys and seems to be tired more of the time. He is most excited by seeing animals, or by watching 3rd and Bird and Postman Pat.

However, he sleeps well, and eats plenty of really good food. His mum cooks real food for him for almost every meal, so he rarely has anything that has been processed, and' we've even managed to keep him off sugar all this time.

It is almost as if something is bothering or disturbing him, though we have no idea what it could be. The only thing we could think of is that he had a very big bang on his head when we were on holiday in India in December. We have seen doctors and health-visitors about this and they have examined him, but say they can't see anything wrong and that if there had been any damage, he would have had some symptoms much more quickly and they would have been severe. But we can't think what else it could be.

It seems too unusual to be a normal part of the development process. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on for him?

Chundle Sun 05-Jun-11 10:25:27

The knock on the head may just be coincidental and nothing to do with his behaviour. I would go back to your GP or HV and explain the changes in him and see what they say, good luck

asdx2 Sun 05-Jun-11 10:52:22

I would ask the GP to perform the CHAT (checklist for autism in toddlers) assessment and should that throw up any concerns ask for a referral to a developmental paediatrician.
Any loss of skills or regression should be taken seriously in my opinion.

lingle Sun 05-Jun-11 12:48:47

hi, my kids didn't withdraw but both had serious problems understanding language, despite good hearing. It was the nature of their brain development, (they are fine now) and that could be the case with your lad too. I wish I had taken it seriously at 21 months as you are doing - when you start working on it at 30 months, there's a lot more work to do! 21 months is a great time to get busy.

When you go to the doctor, remember:
- emphasise his problems understanding language (as opposed to merely "not talking")
- emphasise the change/withdrawal/weakening of desire to play with you.
- mention the eye-contact thing
- if you haven't had one, demand a hearing test - I know you think his hearing is fine but (i) hearing is apparently quite complicated and (ii) if it's a developmental thing, you don't want NHS people wasting your time insisting on hearing tests a year from now.....

very best of luck.

guyshahar Mon 06-Jun-11 12:17:21

Thank you for the suggestions. We will follow them all up.

MockingbirdsNotForSale Mon 06-Jun-11 17:55:58

Did he have a CT and MRI scan after the bang to the head?

guyshahar Tue 07-Jun-11 08:16:52

No - no scans - doctors said there was no need....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: