Talk

Advanced search

Games/ things to do for a 3 yo

(8 Posts)
carat Sat 04-Jun-11 12:02:54

DD has just turned 3 and is dropping her nap. Whilst the baby is asleep upstairs, I have to entertain her from 2-5, but am running out of ideas.

We do puzzles, play snap, shopping trolley game and sometimes painting. I may put on something from Sky+ like Balamory/ Big Barn Farm.

I'm finding it really hard. She has a 20min attention span before she has to move on to the next thing.

Ideas appreciated!

ragged Sat 04-Jun-11 14:47:41

cbeebies
DS quite likes to cut things up with scissors, too.
Pouring stuff from one pot to another.
"Helping" with cooking & baking projects.
I go out a lot to do with school run.
Does your baby really nap for 3 hours?

carat Sat 04-Jun-11 14:55:58

Thanks Ragged.

DS is 8 months and has an hour in the morning while DD is at playschool and then a long afternoon nap for 3 hours - long may it last!

MadamDeathstare Sat 04-Jun-11 15:03:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Sat 04-Jun-11 15:04:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Firawla Sat 04-Jun-11 22:12:18

could get some magazines like cbeebies with stickers and activities in, that can fill quite a bit of time while they do it all and colour in etc
magic painting/water painting/aquadraw
playdo
threading beads kinda things, cotton reels etc
reading books
sounds listening game
magnets/magnet books
drawing with stencils
cbeebies website/poisson rouge etc
playing with toys? wooden train track is v good at filling the time with mine, but whatever thing would keep her attention more, maybe happy land, different playsets or something?

Earwiggo Sun 05-Jun-11 19:14:18

Does baby nap just as well on the go? Once a week you couldgo shopping/park/playdates etc whilst the baby is asleep.

Tgger Sun 05-Jun-11 19:21:54

I would find 3 hours inside with toddler that age very hard! When mine were that age it was a rare exception for us not to go out. The baby had to fit in or we all went mad. (well me anyway!!).

Can baby not nap in buggy? Or maybe every other day at least go out. Do you have a garden? The need for fresh air is great (well in our house it is!). Especially in the summer, the playground is your friend, the park, the woods etc etc.

If you have to be inside I would have some telly, let her play by herself a bit. Oh yes, invite friends over- that's it! Your baby can sleep, your DD can play with a friend and you can rest/have tea and cake. Babies are very adaptable so perhaps you can be more adventurous and get out more?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now