Talk

Advanced search

4 year ild stamped on insect today...

(9 Posts)
bumbly Fri 03-Jun-11 17:11:55

big one...never done that before...got me bit upset...i know is a boy but not the rules in my family!
was bit excited with a playmate so perhaps that was to do with ut

how di you curbe boy behaviour you dont agree with?

pulling plants another but killing insects a dwfinite no no for me!

bubaluchy Fri 03-Jun-11 18:09:18

Maybe get him one of those bug catching toy kits with a magnifier, read about bugs and go around the garden with him showing respect to them, ask him how he would feel if a giant stepped on his head!
lead by example.
This helps to encourage respect for all living creatures, good luck!

monkoray Fri 03-Jun-11 19:54:59

I know what you mean by 'boy' behaviour but I'm sure there are plenty of girl children who would also not think twice about killing a bug. Unfortunately its something that many people condone and he may well have seen another adult do it.
But yes i think its perfectly acceptable to try and curb behaviour that damages nature. As Bubaluchy says, if you use it as an opportunity to teach him about respecting his environment rather than curbing or controlling behaviour he is more likely to react positively.

bemybebe Fri 03-Jun-11 20:03:49

"boy thing"???

MrBloomEatsVeggies Fri 03-Jun-11 20:16:15

My SIL said something along the lines of 'Oh look at that pretty caterpillar, be careful not to tread on it. Isn't it pretty' etc. Niece (aged 4), then deliberately stamped on it, much to the horror of SIL! It's not just a boy thing.

bumbly Fri 03-Jun-11 22:11:31

yes prob a girl thing too

will gently need to keep eye as i think nature has to be respected

how do i then teach him when you can kill them...eg moth infestation in grandma house

argh...will approach that later...

Threadworm8 Fri 03-Jun-11 22:15:43

It's a bit depressing to label that as 'boy' behaviour. Not sure if it makes me feel sadder for boys or for girls.

The suggestion of a bug-hunt kit is a good one.

hester Fri 03-Jun-11 22:19:01

It's not just a boy thing! [said with feeling, by mother of girls.]

MumblingRagDoll Sun 05-Jun-11 00:59:38

"boy thing" hmm My DDs both stamp on things now and then...they're told not to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now