Talk

Advanced search

Weening 6 month old problems

(7 Posts)
Gem2981 Thu 02-Jun-11 17:38:59

Hi my baby boy is 6 months and loves his bottles, hes probbaly been ready for solids for the last few weeks but because he has been doing so well on just bottles i've waited.

He likes pureee fruit, will tolerate musli and bannana porridge and yogurt but will not entertain puree vegatables, ie puree carrot or sweet potatoe & broccoli. He spits this out, crys, gets in a state, pushes my hand away and when you do get a spoonfull in the look on his face is as if to say this tatses awful. I just assumed being the way he is with his bottles and the other solids mentioned above he would basically eat whatever we put in front of him and to an extent he does but not the veg?

Has anybody else experienced this? Any advice would be appreciated?

Many thanks

QueenOfFeckingEverything Thu 02-Jun-11 17:43:44

Can you not just give him some normal person food and let him get on with eating it?

DS at 6 months enjoyed steamed carrot sticks, broccoli, green beans, bits of cheese, pasta shapes, toast fingers with cream cheese/nut butter/fruit spread, carrot cake, flapjacks, roast potatoes/sweet potatoes, yorkshire puddings, quiche - basically any bits of the family meal that weren't too crunchy/salty/sweet.

Seeing as he is 6 months there's no need for him to have puree really.

monkoray Thu 02-Jun-11 18:39:38

Queenof is right that you can go down the baby led weaving route if he's 6 months and he might prefer veg that way.
Alternatively if you are happy with purees you could try mixing the veg with some pureed apple, it will make the veg sweeter.

Gem2981 Thu 02-Jun-11 23:09:20

many thanks for your comments

matana Fri 03-Jun-11 09:47:42

Also their tastes change so don't give up. I've heard it can take up to 100 'tries' before a baby recognises/ tolerates a taste. If he doesn't like it now try again in a few weeks.

WorrisomeHeart Fri 03-Jun-11 09:56:43

monkoray LOL at baby led 'weaving' grin

Agree with the others re just letting them get on with it. My DS loves raw cucumber, raw red pepper and steamed baby corn, mostly because he can just sit there and gum them.

Also agree re giving them another try in a few weeks - DS hated banana initially but now loves them.

Brillbryant Sun 05-Jun-11 20:04:03

I totally agree. I really did not believe in baby lead weaning and thought it was just a fad UNTIL!!!....we started to wean our DS at about 6 months. He was having none of the blended fruit and vegtables we offered and I was very concerned. I had read all about BLW and thought I would try anything just to see and it was like a miracle. We haven't looked back since. He confidently chomps through a huge range of food. Anything I put in front of him gets eaten. It does take a little longer and a bit of patience on my part but it really is wonderful to see them tucking into such a huge variety of food. The whole family looks forward to mealtimes now just to watch our DS enjoying himself! I would definetly go for it. Babies are a lot more capable than we give them credit for. I think it's our own issues that can get in the way. I know I had a great fear of him choking, after a few scary incidents, I know longer worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now