Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else's baby 15 and half pounds at 13 weeks...

(24 Posts)
chocolatemacadamias Wed 01-Jun-11 12:25:53

Just looking for some reassurance from others who have been in a similar position really...

DD2 was 7 and a half pounds at birth and is now 15 and a half at 13 weeks. She is long too and perfectly in proportion and healthy so I know there is nothing to worry about but I can't help it. DD1 was almost exactly half this size at the same age!

I'm bf on demand and for first 6 -8 weeks DD2 fed almost constantly as she had silent reflux. She feeds less now and sleeps for about 7 hours straight at night which is bliss! She is happy and lovely but I can't shake this worrying feeling that she is too big...or that because I'm overweight I've made her fat with my milk...

Anyone else had an average baby that got suddenly big? Did they stay big or get back to a more "normal" size once crawling or walking?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chocolatemacadamias Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:46

Thank you! Good to hear from someone with a bit more perspective Must.stop.worrying.

chocolatemacadamias Wed 01-Jun-11 13:11:55

Thank you- you are lovely! I struggled to bf first time around had only got to grips with it by about now so yes I am lucky it's been easier this time. Will have to develop a thicker skin for all the comments I keep getting when people ask her age!

cantpooinpeace Wed 01-Jun-11 13:15:23

My boy was 10lb 7 at birth blush so god knows what he was by then!

Weights sound pretty good to me smile

chocolatemacadamias Wed 01-Jun-11 13:24:37

cpip love your name,how true!

Thank you-feeling a bit silly now. Guess I just got rattled dressing her in 6-9 month babygro and sitting in dr waiting room with teeny tiny babies like DD1 was.

DeWe Wed 01-Jun-11 17:24:12

I used to tell people I had gold top milk for dd1 grin.
She was nearly 8lb at birth, and at 13 weeks she was 13lb10, she was 15.5lb at 18 weeks.
At 8.9 years she had pneumonia and they found she had lost weight over 2 years previously, and ended up on the drs watch list for being underweight. She's now on the 25% having been as high as nearly 98% at a year. Her height has usually been equivalent centile.

People always comment on the size. My girls were always "aren't they big" and ds was "isn't he small". Actually he was pretty much average. I learnt just to smile and say "yes" to all comments like that. Most people don't know what an average child of that age looks like.

madwomanintheattic Wed 01-Jun-11 17:37:20

ds1 was 16lbs at 11 weeks. grin he had doubled his birthweight.

he was ebf too.

i only know this because he contracted double pneumonia due to rsv at 11 weeks and the paed was thrilled that he was such a chunk as she only had to worry about his lungs rather than worrying about any immediate weight loss grin he had reserves. wink

<she called him 'fatso' though grin>

madwomanintheattic Wed 01-Jun-11 17:38:38

dewe, when dd2 was born and spent 5 weeks in scbu, i took eighty bottles of frozen ebm home on discharge. you could just call me 'daisy' really...

Bunnyjo Wed 01-Jun-11 17:41:19

DD was 7lb 6oz at birth and 14lb 5oz at 13wks... DD was exclusively BF until she was 6mth and breastfed until she was 27mth. DD is now 3.9 and is on the 50th centile for height and weight - she is (and always was) perfectly in proportion.

DS was 7lb 11oz at birth and 9lb 0oz today, at 15days old... I have had comments ranging from "Oohh, he's big!" to "Oh, he's tiny - was he premature?"! I am in complete agreeance with DeWe - I just smile and agree with whatever the intefering busybodies wellwishers say! Oh and HV used to always say I had gold top boobies DeWe - after her visit today she just said "I can see you've got the gold top milk in supply again"!

Mahraih Wed 01-Jun-11 18:57:24

DS was 7lbs8 at birth and 17lbs3 at 13 weeks, then 17lbs10 at 14 weeks. He grows fast! He is BF apart from 1 or 2 FF per week.

I used to worry too, but have given up. He's fine!

It's fat reserves. You know, in case of famine or imminent zombie attack.

mondayschild Wed 01-Jun-11 19:05:21

DS was 17 lb 15 oz at 13 weeks - was 9lb 2oz at birth though. He was ebf and a complete milk monster. He was between 98th and 99.6th centile for ages, but the HV just used to say how well he was doing and that she wasn't going to argue seeing as he was bf.

He's 18 months now, and I haven't had him weighed for ages but although he's still fairly big for his age he seems to be evening out - tall and only just a little bit chubby grin.

Don't stress - sounds like you're doing great smile

iskra Thu 02-Jun-11 08:46:11

DD ballooned blossomed around then too. She was born 8lb 13 oz & steadily piled it on until she was off the chart by 16 weeks.

She's now 3, tall-ish for her age & slim.

chocolatemacadamias Thu 02-Jun-11 12:41:06

Thanks everyone, feeling much more reassured and a bit sheepish for having been worried. Am going to enjoy my lovely baby and stop obsessing!

Sparklyboots Thu 02-Jun-11 13:38:32

Oh, I am so jealous, I assumed you were showing off. My DS went 75th to 4th centile and I thought I was going to be arrested or something. We are back on track now but I literally couldn't imagine worrying about too much weight gain that young on EBF - I thought 'you couldn't overfeed a breastfed baby'? <prepares to be corrected>

chocolatemacadamias Thu 02-Jun-11 14:00:11

no sparklyboots not showing off - sorry to hear you've been worried about your DS. My first struggled to get onto the charts for first 3 months and it is really scary when they are small.

I've heard that too about not being able to overfeed with bf...but would be great to know for sure.

lonesomeBiscuit Fri 03-Jun-11 17:52:47

Really - don't worry! I have been in the same position, but have decided that life is too short and all that.

My EBF DS was 7lb 8 oz at birth, rose rapidly from the 50th through the charts, and has tracked his own line about 2lb above the 99.6th centile. He would have been about 18lb at 13 weeks, and at just turned 7 months is now 26lb. His height is also on the 99.6th percentile and he doesn't look like a baby at all!

However it has slowed down. By 4 months old he was already in 9-12 months clothes - but he is still in those same clothes now at 7 months. Friends and family have all told me that their babies' weight plateau-ed once they started to crawl.

nearlytherenow Fri 03-Jun-11 21:55:18

DS2 is 6 weeks and 14lbs (8lbs 10 at birth). DS1 was very similar. He just grew and grew while EBF, but after 6 months, once solids were introduced, his weight gain steadied and it plateaued at aged about 1 (when he started walking - crawling didn't make a huge difference), he's now a perfectly normal-sized 2 year old.

gallifrey Tue 07-Jun-11 12:07:18

My first daughter weighed 12lb at 14 weeks, my new baby is 7 weeks and already weighs 12lb 3!!

Pussinflatboots Tue 07-Jun-11 13:10:14

Another chubster here - 15lb12oz at 15 weeks grin.

I FF and ate nothing but chelsea buns while pregnant

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now