Talk

Advanced search

Teething and coughing at night linked? Remedies please

(6 Posts)
joymaker Wed 01-Jun-11 09:03:07

Could teething be causing my 13 month DS to cough? He also has a runny nose. Not keen on giving meds generally though this is waking him up and he seems quite tired after the third night of this. He does not appear to be in any pain from the teething (just a bit more clingy and less energetic) so wondered what would be best to give him to ease his discomfort.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

monkoray Wed 01-Jun-11 15:20:58

Yes I think it probably is linked. My ds gets more snotty when teething and coughs, which I think is snot running down the back of his throat. Try a drop of olbas oil on a muslin tied to his cot. It might help clear his sinuses

AngelDog Wed 01-Jun-11 20:07:07

Could be.

Night coughs can be a sign of asthma - my GP was concerned about this for my DS at that age. It must have been an allergic type reaction though rather than asthma as it cleared up completely after a couple of days of antihistamines. (He'd had the cough for about 3 months following a chest infection.)

monkoray Wed 01-Jun-11 21:26:14

just reread my post and wanted to clarify that i was saying in general i think coughing and teething can be linked - not that that is necessarily what is going on with your DC. Don't want to be playing doctor.
The olbas oil worked for my DS so if its the same thing it might help - sorry, just got really paranoid about how assertive my first post sounded.

joymaker Wed 01-Jun-11 21:27:51

Thank you both. To be on the safe side I have made an appointment to see my GP (as advised by the pharmasist when I went in to see what was available).

I've put him at a slant in bed tonight and so far so good -the coughing has drastically reduced.

monkoray I shall try the olbas oil if things start to deteriorate.

Angeldog I do hope it's not asthma (I have it on my side of the family) I shall ask the doctor about this when I go in.

Thanks again

mamofK Fri 03-Jun-11 22:41:34

We had that issue with our little one, constant night waking due to tickly cough when teething (because of all the drool I think) and buying a humidifier genuinely changed our lives. I got mine in Argos for around 50 euro, and it was worth every cent. I find it great myself whenever I have asthma flareups or any sort of respiratory infection.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: