Talk

Advanced search

When do I take away the night nappy??

(17 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 31-May-11 20:40:08

DS is 3 1/2 dry during the day.
8/10 times nappy is dry in the morning. WWYD?

RunOrRioja Tue 31-May-11 20:49:19

DD was almost 3 when we did potty training so I guess that is late in some peoples eyes. She cracked in within 3 days though.

DD was almost 4 when she was dry at night. I didn't do anything at all to push things. One week she was soaking at night with a nappy (we didn't stop her two cups of milk at bedtime) and the next week she was dry every night. She is now 6 and has only had 3 wet bedtimes in those years. She still has plenty of milk at bedtime.

When they are ready their bodies will work it out.

A lovely friend tried to get her DD who is the same age to be dry at night and really pushed it as soon as she was dry in the daytime, her DD is still having lots of accidents at night.

Could be a coincidence but I have found that it needs to be child led.

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 31-May-11 20:58:55

So sorry I'm being dim, so are you saying you just kept a night nappy on until it was dry for so many weeks then took it away???

olivo Tue 31-May-11 21:00:37

I agree - my DD was dot on 2 when she was dry in the day, but she is now approaching 5 and still wears night nappies. we tried a few months ago without, but there was no point. There are several other girls in her class who still have night nappies, so she deosnt feel left out!

wait until he has a couple of weeks of dry and then try maybe?

negrilbaby Tue 31-May-11 21:12:34

My DS has been fully potty trained during the day for 10 months now and up to a week ago his night time nappies were almost to his knees in the morning. He often soaked all the way through requiring a complete bed change. We'd tried pull-ups, leaving his potty next to his bed, but he never woke up to use it so we went back to ordinary ones.
Last week he took his nappy off in the morning and said - quite shocked - 'it's dry mummy' . A week later and they are still dry.
I'd just bought a job lot of night time pull ups (6 x 12 packs)!!

Midge25 Tue 31-May-11 21:32:29

I agree - think it needs to be child led. DD was dry during the day by 2.9, and we left her in pull-ups at night for a few extra months. Eventually they were dry every morning, and at 3.1 we took her out of them. One accident since then, and she's now 3.6...

mnistooaddictive Tue 31-May-11 21:43:04

Dd (4) has a couple if dry nappies a week. I think with her she often wakes up but isn't getting up or she is weeing first thing in the morning. She is desperate not to wear a nappy at night so I am letting her try this week. She was wet last night but said she wax awake but forgot she didn't have a nappy on. If she is still wet at the end if the week we will go back to nappies but I want to let her try! I have also just bought bulk pack of nappies!

tryingtobemarypoppins2 Tue 31-May-11 21:43:23

Thank you all, I'll give it a wee bit longer ;)

Bumperlicioso Wed 01-Jun-11 09:44:53

Good to read this thread. Dd1 is nearly 4 and still not even close to being dry at night. People keep telling me I should lift her and stop liquids after 5 but I haven't bothered yet. And with a still waking baby in the night I'm loath to be getting up to take her to the toilet or stripping down beds. I will just leave it a while.

Toadinthehole Wed 01-Jun-11 10:39:41

DD is six: was dry for a while, but eventually went back into a night nappy after repeated wet beds. She simply wasn't waking. Am also leaving it for now because I also don't want to strip down beds at night / first thing in the morning.

boyse7en Thu 02-Jun-11 17:04:55

DD1 was a bit over 2 when she potty trained during the day. We waited and waited for dry night nappies, but they never came. We eventually decided just to stop putting her in nappies at night after six months and she just stopped weeing at night. It was like the wearing of the nappy provided the re-assurance that she could go, so she did. We did lift her for the first week or so when we went to bed, but then didn't bother. Only had a few wet beds (about 3 total) afterwards, and that was when she was a bit ill (i think the Calpol made her sleep deeper)

It is a bit of a high-risk strategy (well, if it doesn't work then you end up doing a lot of washing) but it worked for us.

alarkaspree Thu 02-Jun-11 17:08:41

I would take it off if it is usually dry in the morning. I stopped using them for ds before he was 2, a week after he was trained in the day, after he was dry every morning for a week. We had probably 10 wet beds over the next year, but it was worth it to get rid of nappies from my life.

pranma Thu 02-Jun-11 17:35:21

dgs was just turned 4 when he asked not to wear a 'pullup' at night.he has accidents maybe once a week but is usually fine-lots of his classmates in nursery[3-4] still in night nappies.

mrsravelstein Thu 02-Jun-11 17:37:59

ds1 stopped wearing night time pull ups until about 4.5yrs. once they started being dry all the time, we stopped.... but he was still having a cup of bedtime milk so i think that's why it took quite a long time. i don't think there's any particular reason to force the issue before maybe 5 ish?

needanothacuppa Tue 07-Jun-11 14:52:40

dd is nearly 8 and still not dry at night. ds went dry at night at nearly 3 so children vary so much! dd just doesnt seem to have the necessary control to hold on to her wee until morning. So I shouldn't worry until they are over 7 years and it becomes a problem. Just do what works for all of you!

For us its becoming a problem as dd is aware that her friends dont have pullys at night ( our nickname for pullups) and we have to avoid sleepovers and this is all starting to bother her. We have had little chats about it to reassure her and we went to the doctor the other week to see what we could do next. The first step is to not to allow drinks after 6.00pm and take her to the loo when I go to bed later (eg 10.30/11.00ish) Those are strategies that you could use to help with wet beds/nappies. It times the fluids through her body later in the day and has resulted in dryish pullies for us most of the time.

I don't hold hopes for dd with this as a solution though as she just isn't continent at night otherwise!! However the late night loo runs are far less stressful than I thought! I hadn't realised until timing her drinking during the day how chaotic it was, ie sometimes not having a drink for ages and drinking more later and sometimes not, and this may have been contributing to the problem.

I think I might have to start a thread of my own here as some advice from other mums in this situation would be wonderful!

Emski76 Tue 07-Jun-11 15:24:01

I'm going through this same thing with ds1, he's 3.7 years old and had been dry in the day for almost a year. At night he rarely wakes without a wet nappy. He often ask to wear pants to bed so each night I remind him that if he needs a wee in the night he must take his nappy off and go to the toilet. He said this morning that he's too desperate and can't make it to the toilet. What do I do now? I don't really want to start lifting him at night to go to the toilet, and he doesn't drink much on an evening.
I also have a 15 week old ds so don't really wan my nights anymore disturbed than they already are!
Any advice?

needanothacuppa Tue 07-Jun-11 18:39:08

emski, maybe you could leave a potty near his bed? If he will use one that is! Maybe you will have to say its either potty or nappy, giving him the choice, but stick to it, with a sticker chart to reward him. Do you have someone else to help with lifting at night so you dont have to do it?

Hope it helps and things get better soon!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: