Talk

Advanced search

Stammering

(6 Posts)
MountainDew Tue 31-May-11 12:19:04

Hello, Just after a bit of reassurance really...

My little boy is just 2. He speaks a lot, talks in mini-sentances ('go outside now', 'daddy gone upstairs' etc) and communicates/understands well.

But he is starting to stammer a bit. Like 'da - da- da- da -da- da- da- da-daddy gone upstairs'. (ok, so you know what a stammer is... blush )

My instinct tells me this is normal, his speech trying to catch up with his brain. As such I have been ignoring it. So just smiling at him as he stammers, waiting until he gets the word out. I haven't given him the word or interuptted or anything.

But it is normal? Its been going on for about a month. He maybe stammers 3/4 times a day. He doesn't seem bothered by it, I don't think he gets frustrated, he just keeps trying until he says it.

Should I do anything? Talk to anyone? Is it normal? Reassurance please!
Thanks in advance.

jinnie1970 Tue 31-May-11 12:53:28

Hi there, my two year old is exactly the same and also speaks in the same mini-sentences. When he 'stammers' I just put it down to him trying to find the right word and his mind is racing faster than his current vocab allows. I'm not worried about it.

QuinnFabray Tue 31-May-11 13:00:34

It is normal, and it usually doesn't last. However, occasionally it does, and the toddler becomes a child who stammers. . . who becomes an adult who stammers. So, it's worth keeping an eye on. I can't remember what age it is suggested that you seek advice, but I do know that the earlier help is sought, the better it is for the stammering child.

I'm an adult stammerer, by the way.

ajandjjmum Tue 31-May-11 13:12:30

I was worried about DD when she was 3/4, particularly as DH stammered as a child. DS's speech therapist explained that it's resultant of them not being able to say what they want quickly enough - certainly went pretty quickly with DD, and she never shuts up now!! grin

MountainDew Tue 31-May-11 13:29:50

Thank you everyone.

Like I say I thought it was normal, but had a moment of panic, so your replies have been very helpful!

smile

MrsJamin Tue 31-May-11 13:45:55

DS1 is going through this at the moment, but last time it happened, when he stopped he suddenly had lots of new words and complex sentences! It's a time when they have a sudden language development and they just have so many words to choose from it's a bit overwhelming!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now