Talk

Advanced search

Sit up from lying down?

(7 Posts)
ComradeJing Tue 31-May-11 09:40:07

When do babies Sit up from lying down? DD (almost 5 months) is frantically trying to and getting quite cross that she can't.

I can't seem to find anything online though I might just be being daft. hmm

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 09:41:50

oh, she is early to be sitting up from lying down.

She is likely just testing her tummy muscles in preparation for rolling over.

DD wasn't sitting until she was almost a year.

ComradeJing Tue 31-May-11 09:51:33

Ahhh, ok. That sounds more likely and I'm simply misreading it. <No real idea when babies do anything even after reading the developmental guff emoticon>

Thanks smile

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 09:57:53

Oh, babies are supposed to be sitting up from about 8 or 9 mths, iirc. But silly DD didn't read the book.

This is the point where we agree that babies are all different and that we shouldn't worry if they do things at different tempos and the range of normal is so diverse blablablah.

Just enjoy each stage as it comes and goes. Before you know it she will be wearing skinny jeans and asking for make up for her birthday.

ComradeJing Tue 31-May-11 10:19:12

Do you think she'll sleep then?? Please tell me she'll at least be sleeping by then? <Grabs MMeLindor by the lapels and begs>

But yy for babies all being different. I just wasn't sure if she was suddenly going to sit up next week and then immediately face plant.

Either way, good to know.

DontCallMeBaby Tue 31-May-11 10:22:22

I read that something like 95% of babies can sit unsupported by 8 months (DD did it the day after turning 8 months, just to be special). She didn't get herself from lying to sitting until 13 months - I remember as I was trying to get a pair of tights on her to take her to my friend's little boy's first birthday. But I do remember one baby who could sit herself up from lying down, purely with stomach muscles, at the age of 5 or 6 months - it was impressive! I wish I was still in touch with her mum, I'd love to know how she's turned out (she will be 7 now, as is DD - I have brilliant recall of useless information).

MmeLindor. Tue 31-May-11 10:26:46

Yes, she will be sleeping.

<ignores DS coming into the bedroom several times a night at age 6yo>

Boys are different of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now