Talk

Advanced search

What age did you start giving pocket money and how much??

(12 Posts)
extraconfusedhelp Mon 30-May-11 22:47:13

My dd is nearly 4. She had £5 on the weekend, and went and spent it as quickly as she could (even offered to buy me a dress) grin.

She has a really good heart and is lovely. But is also very hard work and stubborn.

I am wondering if pocket money would be a good idea, and work it out per day, so if she is bad one day gets less money.

I do spend alot of money on her when we go out anyway (just on little things but all adds up). So maybe it would be a good idea to start giving pocket money.

I'm not sure if she may be too young at the moment? Also how much do other 4year olds get?

DD also loved paying for things herself out of her money, I think it made her feel very important. smile

DoMeDon Tue 31-May-11 10:43:55

Not yet - oldest is 7.

Personally I think pocket money comes with 'big school'.

I think £5 is A LOT of money for a 4 year old.

DeWe Tue 31-May-11 14:12:49

Mine got it when they started school. They started with 20p, and it goes up about 10p a year. It's a lot less than their peers though, so I think we're going to have to do a big rise shortly.
Dd1 saves most of it and spends it on birthday presents. She recently wanted to buy ds a toy worth £25 with money she's saved up over the years. Wish I could save as well as she does.
Dd2 spends it all. She saved up over several months because she was desperate to own a note. The £5 note lasted nearly 4 days before she spent it all. She buys a lot of tat for friends, but it gives her pleasure so that's fine.

Readyisknitting Tue 31-May-11 14:19:03

Mine began when they lost their first tooth. I say began, dd1 is desperate to begin loosing her baby teeth!!!! They get 50p a week from us, and the deal is if they save for something big, I'll make up the final third. Cast me dear when ds ans dbs both reached their target amounts within a week of each other!

Halogen Tue 31-May-11 14:29:28

DD is four, five in September, and gets £2. I chose this amount so that she could either buy a CBeebies magazine or a (very) small toy/bit of tat but not both. It means she has to make a choice about what she really wants and she loves those magazines. Also, she knows that if she wants something more expensive she has to wait a few weeks. I also offer to put in a bit if she wants to save for something so if she's prepared to save for four weeks to get £8, I'm prepared to give her the extra £2 for something that costs a tenner as I think waiting four weeks at that age is really excellent self-control (don't think I could have managed it). The plus side to giving pocket money so young is that she knows that she has a set amount and when it is gone, that's it. We get far far less whining for things she 'needs' than we used to.

tillytips Tue 31-May-11 15:59:08

my daughter is nearly 12 and only gets £3.50 a week. Her brother is 16 and gets £7.50. They get it paid monthly, so if they spend it all it once too bad.
My son got himself a sunday job to make his money up himself. The right approach i think!

jubilee10 Tue 31-May-11 22:13:31

ds's 1 & 2 (15 and 13) get £5 and can earn up to an extra £5 looking after ds3 (4) and other jobs around the house. Ds3 doesn't get pocket money but I probably spend more on him than the other two put together.

skybluepearl Tue 31-May-11 22:25:32

mine get pocket money for things daily. They can get about 24p max a day and we have a daily chart with lots of boxes that we tick. They get 2p for various individual things including - making bed, being poilte to brother, helping someone out, putting out breakfast things, being ready for school on time etc .. Seems to be working

skybluepearl Tue 31-May-11 22:29:16

they can also get an extra 50p for an hours worth of jobs - what ever i need doing.

FernieB Wed 01-Jun-11 12:03:15

My DD's (10) get £10 a month each at the moment. I don't think they need any more yet. They spend it on DVD's, accessories and lip gloss etc. They do go for several months without buying anything (we rarely go shopping, so they are hardly ever in a shop) and then will splash out on a lot of stuff at once.

ASByatt Wed 01-Jun-11 12:06:52

Mine don't get pocket money yet (nearly 6 and nearly 8) but do get occasional small money gifts from Grandparents, which they save (their choice). Dd is apparently saving up to buy a house......

irregularegular Wed 01-Jun-11 12:09:15

Mine are 7 and 8 and get 70p and 80p - 10p for every year. I think it started about 2 years ago. Sophie tends to spend it when we have days out - i refuse to buy gift shop tat, but she can spend it on what she wants. She also orders books from Amazon occasionally. Robert buys Match Attack cards, or Go Gos, but also manages to save a surprising amount. he just gave us £20 towards buying a new football goal rather than waiting until his birthday.

I think at 10 I may increase it to about £2-£2.50 as I think it is reasonable that they have more freedom to choose things they would like.

It isn't contingent on doing jobs and they aren't allowed to buy sweets. They get a Friday treat on pocket money day too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now