Talk

Advanced search

5 month old DS sleeping on his front

(5 Posts)
Margie32 Mon 30-May-11 16:32:14

Since DS has been able to roll over, although I put him to sleep on his back, when I go in to get him in the morning he's always asleep on his front.

Is this dangerous? Should I go into his room in the night and roll him back over?

bagelmonkey Mon 30-May-11 18:06:34

Our parents were advised to sleep us on our fronts and we all survived......

serendipity81 Mon 30-May-11 19:45:30

I had the same problem when dd was about the same age and spent weeks flipping her in the middle of the night!!! When I was confident she could roll front to back and back to front I left her to her own devices. I think it's a more natural position and can help a windy baby smile If he finds it comfortable I would let him be. Having said that the health warnings are there for a reason and I dont want to give you false confidence. My dd was in her cot, but in our room and breast fed 3 hourly at this age so our circumstances may be different. Do whatever you feel is right for you and it wont even be an issue in a few weeks when your ds is more mobile. Sorry if I'm a bit rambling and contradictary! Hope it helps in some way x

ComradeJing Tue 31-May-11 09:37:36

I thought the rules were only that babies had to sleep on their backs until they were able to roll back and forward by themselves.

brettgirl2 Tue 31-May-11 11:28:00

My daughter could turn over with grow bag from 3 1/2 months, I think she had seen the first 3 months of her life as 'project get onto my front' as she had been trying pretty much from newborn grin. There really isn't much you can do to be honest and once babies are mobile they are less likely to die from SIDS anyway. My daughter survived and is now 2. HV was extremely unconcerned despite her age.

I think the being able to turn from back to forward and forward to back is a funny one. If a baby wants to be on their front they won't turn back over. They roll for a reason so the gap between actually seeing them do one or the other can be pretty big I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now