Talk

Advanced search

Nearly 4 y.o. never stops talking & moving

(12 Posts)
vvviola Sun 29-May-11 19:30:36

DD will be 4 in July. She's always been fairly vocal and inquisitive from the time she learnt to talk and she's a very active child (didn't budge until she was 11 months, the crawled/walked/ran in the space of 3 months and hasn't stopped since).

Recently though, she just never seems to stop. (We've been away on a family holiday for a week, in a small 2 room place, so it's possible I'm just a little 'over exposed' to her quirks. I need silence to recharge my batteries, and just didn't get any)

Today for example - she played fairly nicely all day, helped me hang out washing, etc, but there was a constant soundtrack to go with it. If she was playing she was chattering away or making various sound effects. When we were eating dinner & lunch she was humming or singing the whole way through. I tried to read her a story at bedtime, and she chattered or hummed all through it. She talks so much that she doesn't hear us answering her questions most of the time.

And she seems to need to be constantly on the move. Even at dinner, throughout the humming/singing, she was also tapping her feet and banging the fork on the table.

Until recently, I thought she was just an active, chatty child (and my Mum would say it was the Universe getting it's revenge on me - despite my introvert tendencies now, I was just as chatty as a child apparently, although not as active). She asks the funniest, cleverest little questions (I'm still reeling over the series of questions about the moon, stars and where they come from), but they are beginning to be drowned out by the constant chatter so I'm actually beginning to be concerned that there might be something else going on that I'm not spotting. She doesn't appear to have any issues at pre-school. The teacher says she chats a lot, but gets on well with everyone, joins in nicely and does what she is asked. (Unfortunately, I don't speak French particularly well, so I'm not sure how I would manage to question her in more depth - we live in Belgium, so DD is in a French-speaking school).

Is it likely this is just a phase and that I just need to change my approach to discipline/parenting (and that my patience levels are just a bit lower than normal, as I'm pregnant, very busy at work and not getting a lot of sleep), or should I be looking into the possibility that something else is behind all the behaviour?

Any advice please?

vvviola Mon 30-May-11 09:39:28

Anyone have any thoughts?

(Although things were a little calmer this morning ... she actually stopped talking long enough to hear the answers to her questions, and managed to sit still and eat her breakfast without the need to tap her feet/bang the spoon etc)

HipHopOpotomus Mon 30-May-11 19:30:23

Sounds just like DD so watching with interest. She is 3.5

TheOriginalFAB Mon 30-May-11 19:31:50

Totally normal imo.

Bumperlicioso Mon 30-May-11 19:38:08

I think it sounds normal, but with a dd1 the same age I can appreciate how wearing it is. We have periods (often in the car) of 'quiet time' when dd1 must be quiet for 10 mins or so. Sounds mean but really is essential for my sanity & after the first few times she actually responded really well to it and is fairly cooperative.

ttalloo Mon 30-May-11 19:38:52

It sounds to me as if she's just a very busy and interested little girl with a lot to say for herself - I can see why listening to a constant soundtrack from her might be wearing, but I wouldn't be worrying about it if I were you. If there were a problem I'm sure the pre-school would have picked up on it by now, and it would be far more worrying if she weren't saying or doing very much at all.

Don't forget, toddlers are selfish, self-obsessed little creatures, and they have no idea of the impact of their behaviour on those around them, and yours just seems to be on the extreme end of that. You just need to guide her into learning to stop chattering constantly, and to stop banging her feet at the table, for example, and while it might take a while, she will get there.

And with you being pregnant and sleep-deprived, no wonder you're finding it hard to cope with a full-on toddler - be patient with her and yourself, and I'm sure all will be well.

vvviola Tue 31-May-11 11:31:07

Thanks everyone. Glad to see that it seems to just be normal behaviour.

My parents are coming to visit this weekend, which always increases the chatter levels and general craziness (they have a mutual adoration society going on - DD just can't get enough of them). Thankfully, it also means I might get a little bit of respite. grin

I think I might try that 'quiet' time idea... although at least the weather is improving a bit, she can go out into the garden and the birds (and unfortunate neighbours) can be treated to some of the chatter!

mumfromspace Wed 01-Jun-11 14:22:41

Oh my son never shuts up! If we are watching tv he says, "Mummy look" about 100 times. Often he'll say, "Mummy, I've got my juice" yeah, I know, I fetched it! He's currently on the floor moving around trying not to sleep. Magic. Xx

BsshBossh Wed 01-Jun-11 16:37:12

It sounds normal to me too. People are always praising my DD (3) for her communication/verbal/vocab abilities and I'm proud on the one hand and hmm on the other. I blame myself really (and MIL and DH) because we never stopped talking to her as a baby! Anyway, I know I was like that and started to calm/quieten down in my first year at primary school (4ys to 5yrs old).

A thing that really works well for my chatterbox DD is pretending she's at school and I'm a teacher. When we're reading a book or I need some quiet headspace and want her to play quietly I announce, "Okay children, I am the teacher and I want you all to be quiet while I read/do XYZ". I do it in Peppa Pig's Madame Gazelle voice and it works every time!!!

mum765 Wed 01-Jun-11 19:40:53

Yes very normal. It's exhausting though. Mine calmed down a lot after first term of reception. Less leaping around at least. Still a lot of chatter.

MadamDeathstare Wed 01-Jun-11 20:48:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BsshBossh Thu 02-Jun-11 09:18:22

MadamDeathstare, you use the past tense there grin, so at what age did your twins stop talking non-stop?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now