Talk

Advanced search

11 week old screaming with balled fists at his ears and stiff as a board

(10 Posts)
barra Sun 29-May-11 15:48:56

my ds has been screaming for lasr 3 hours. I think it is wind but have done all winding exercises and nothing more comes up. He is in terrible pain. Any ideas???

MmeLindor. Sun 29-May-11 15:55:08

Is he feeding normally? No temperature?

Is he normally a bit of a grumpy little sausage, or is this really unusual?

Have you tried the airplane position, where you lay him along your forearm, on his tummy?

Are you alone with him?

PrincessJas Sun 29-May-11 15:56:27

Sounds like wind to me too. I often had issues winding my DS when he was little. On the rare occasions he was really bad, I used to give him a small dose of calpol to relieve his pain. I didn't want to do this all the time, or give him too much - so I gave him the minimum, just one time.

Have you tried the 'old-fashioned' ideas for winding, such as have him in a sitting position bouncing him on your knee, or laying him on your knee and moving him up and down gently whilst rubbing his back?

My friends were advised to use a dummy - not sure if this helped or not ( I didn't like the idea myself for various reasons), also if it continues, you can get something prescribed form the doctor I think.

HTH.
Jas.xx

malibustac Sun 29-May-11 15:59:08

Have you tried infacol or gripe water? Or try rocking his legs back and forth. Definitely sounds like wind.

barra Sun 29-May-11 15:59:26

No temp. Has fed normally today. He has silent reflux but is on medicine and has been okay.this is unusual. Did not know if fists at ears was maybe ear infection?

ZhenXiang Sun 29-May-11 15:59:47

Does he stop crying even for a moment when held upright? Could be reflux. Could have earache/headache if holding fists near ears? Could be early teething possibly or a virus? Have you taken his temperature?

MmeLindor. Sun 29-May-11 16:08:15

I think he would normally have a temperature if he had an ear infection. And at that age would he have so much control of his arms/hands to do that? Not sure.

It is awful when they are screaming and you don't know what is wrong. Have you tried putting him in his pram and taking him for a walk?

SouthGoingZax Sun 29-May-11 16:10:03

Have you given him any Calpol?
I used to calpol at the least provocation.

barra Sun 29-May-11 16:10:31

ThA nks. Will take for a walk after this feed.

MmeLindor. Sun 29-May-11 16:11:10

Hands at ears Not necessarily a sign of ear infection but fever not always present either.

Does he have a cold? Sniffling a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now