Talk

Advanced search

Difference between need to suck and hunger

(4 Posts)
BlingLoving Sun 29-May-11 12:41:40

aka: should I use a pacifier?

Ds is just a few days old (and perfectsmile) but I notice he fusses a lot at times for no reason. He has eaten well less than an hour ago so dont think he's hungry, but when I put my finger at his mouth he sucks very enthusiastically. Is this a normal need? Should I just give him a pacifier? None of my books comment on this.

TIA

seeker Sun 29-May-11 12:47:01

If he's only a few days old then you need to let him suck all he wants - it will establish the supply and demand nature of feeding. It will gradually evolve into a pattern and you;l know better if he's comfort sucking or hungry. But best to offer milk first at this stage, until everything settles down.

Sofa, phone, remote control, nice food and drink and feet up. What's not to like!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 16:41:00

Are you bf? Assumin you are follow seekers advice. Let him feed as much as you can bare.

Personaly i wanted to avoid giving ds a dummy if poss (to avoid getting rid of it eventually) and never really had a reason to. Just popped him on t'boob whenever he squeaked. It soon settled down and now he'd rather be off playing. The early days are intense but do fly by so enjoy if you can smile

Octaviapink Sun 29-May-11 18:43:00

If he's only a few days old he's working VERY hard to get your supply up - let him suck away. Nobody tells you before you start breastfeeding that sometimes you're pinned to the sofa all day, but yes, even if he finished a feed about 30 minutes ago he can be hungry again. My DS used to feed all evening with 20 minute breaks when he was new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now