Talk

Advanced search

Bumpy pram ride - worried

(21 Posts)
mimolette Sat 28-May-11 18:16:56

Hello, this is my first post as a nervous new mother! We went out for a walk with my 10-day old daughter today, in her pram (the big kind, a bit like a moses basket on wheels). There is a big step on the way out of the building and I accidentally bumped the pram a fair bit getting it out, with her lying in it. She slept soundly on the walk, and ate with usual appetite afterwards. But I am getting paranoid after reading that shaking babies can cause brain damage. Is it possible that a baby can be hurt by getting shaken while on a bumpy pram ride?

BertieBotts Sat 28-May-11 18:19:02

Oh bless you! No, she will be absolutely fine. You'd have to shake a baby very violently to cause damage sad

Madlizzy Sat 28-May-11 18:21:30

Babies are more sturdy than you think. She'll be absolutely fine. xx

mimolette Sat 28-May-11 18:30:00

Thank you!

DrGruntFotter Sat 28-May-11 18:35:38

Message withdrawn

Spagbolagain Sat 28-May-11 18:36:44

The physical effects of shaking a baby are very distinctive, it can't happen by accident. Your little one in her big cosy pram will be just fine, they get used to the bumping smile
Congratulations on your newborn!

AngelDog Sat 28-May-11 21:21:55

DS hated any non-bumpy pram rides and would only sleep if on cobbles. hmm

Shaking injuries require their neck and heads to be moving in different directions or at different speeds, which is what causes the damage. In a bumpy pram they'll both be moving together, and it'll be fine.

DS has survived bumping down a whole (long) flight of stairs at a few railway stations.

Congratulations on your DD, and welcome to MN. smile

ginmakesitallok Sat 28-May-11 21:24:21

babies love a good shoogling!

Shaking a baby is completely different as Angelgod says.

Congratulations and envy at your little one! grin

bigkidsmademe Sat 28-May-11 21:25:28

I used to worry about this, I'd never been around children or pushed a pram before and when I took DS for walks I'd avoid those pimples by zebra crossings to avoid shaken baby syndrome smile

Then one day DH (who knows lots about children and is very calm) showed me how he slept going over cobbles and all was ok. You'll be fine, it just takes a bit of getting used to, doesn't it!

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Sun 29-May-11 10:21:58

Like others ds only slept for naps when either in a bumpy buggy, or laid across my lap being jiggled up and down!

Congrats, welcome, your lo will be fine! smile

Cosmosis Mon 30-May-11 12:40:31

angeldog's had a promotion wink

DS is another who loves a cobbly pram ride, don't worry!

BikeRunSki Mon 30-May-11 12:46:30

I used to deliberately seek out bridleways and cobbles when DS was in his pram.

perplexedpirate Mon 30-May-11 12:51:25

I remember when DS was small phoning my Mum in tears because I thought I'd done him some major damage by moving my arm a bit too quickly while I was feeding him and jerking his head slightly (I also got her out of work in hysterics because he had a black eye. Turned out to be a shadow. blush).

Your DS will be fine. Congratulations.

wolfhound Mon 30-May-11 13:02:30

I had the same worry with DS1 - we lived on a cobbled street and I used to walk at a slower-than-snail's pace for fear of giving him shaken baby syndrome. When DS2 came along, I took the same street at a brisk semi-run since it got him off to sleep beautifully by the end of the street. It's just new-mum syndrome smile

perplexedpirate Mon 30-May-11 15:31:58

Sorry, DD.

Doh!

AngelDog Mon 30-May-11 22:35:00

grin

DirtyMartini Mon 30-May-11 22:39:07

lol - I read that thinking 'wow, someone has chosen Angelgod for a nn?' grin

Welcome Mimolette, and congrats smile

PotPourri Mon 30-May-11 22:50:36

Aw sweet. She'll be fne. Think how much she bumped about in your belly, every stair you went down, every turn in bed, going round corners on the tube (or equivalent). She'll be fine. Just relax and enjoy her.

SixtyFootDoll Mon 30-May-11 22:54:55

Ah bless, I used to find with mine the bumpier the ride, the better they slept!

MmeLindor. Mon 30-May-11 23:01:11

Welcome to MN.

Another one who used to go into the oldest part of town to the street with cobblestones to shoogle baby to sleep.

Don't worry about it.

mimolette Tue 31-May-11 12:01:19

Thanks very much for the welcome, and for all the reassurance, I feel much better now! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now