Talk

Advanced search

almost 1yo not weight bearing and extra crease in thigh

(7 Posts)
smallpotato Sat 28-May-11 10:40:42

My DD2 will be 1 in 2 weeks and still does not bear weight on her legs - if you hold her in a standing position she will sort of wobble on her tiptoes and then collapse/bend her legs.

I wasn't too worried about it, but then a friend mentioned someone she knew whose baby was diagnosed with hip dysplasia. She said one of the signs was an extra crease on the leg/thigh. I looked at DD and she does have an extra crease high up on her right thigh, it's basically like she's got a whole extra fold of skin in her groin area on one side iyswim. Since looking it up on the web I've also found it's more common in breech babies, and she was breech until 37 weeks when she managed to turn (thanks to lots of bizarre exercises by me!)

Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I get her checked out by the GP?

Thanks

Albrecht Sat 28-May-11 11:02:05

No experience but I remember a baby on Embaressing Bodies had this and the crease thing stuck in my mind. Other things to look for:

"This is normally detected during newborn or 6 week checks, but if you are worried your baby may have the condition, look out for one leg being slightly shorter, extra skin creases on the hip or thigh and one hip not opening as far as the other."

I would take her to the gp just in case.

Katy1368 Sat 28-May-11 21:26:05

Take her to the GP if you are worried but just to reassure you my DD would not weight bear at all at 1 year, in fact she wasn't even moving. She went on to become a bum shuffler by about 14 months then pulled up at arounf 16-17 months and eventually walked at 20 months with no long term problems. At 1 year if you dangled her off your lap feet first she could not plant her feet flat on the floor and her legs just gave way, she was little miss tippy toes too. I did get her checked out for hip problems on the advice of my HV but she had none.

My point being that there ARE babies who cannot weight bear at a year and have a delay in gross motor skills and go on to be fine like my DD so don't think your LO is the only one! However I never worried too much as all her gross motor skills were late - it's just how she is IYSWIM, she didn't sit unsupported until 9 months, didn't roll over until very late etc- She really is entirely normal now at the age of 3, she would just do nothing for ages then achieve a lot very quickly e.g. within a week of her first independent steps she was running, jumping etc- very well and very rarely fell as she was so steady.

Get her checked out to set your mind at rest but it may be all fine!

UrsulaBuffay Sat 28-May-11 21:29:51

You should see the gp and she may be referred for a scan.

When we were leaving hospital with DD the DR who did her check thought she may have this due to a clicky hip. She was referred, however the referral was lost & I had to chase & chase...she was walking by the time we went though & they couldn't understand why we were referred.

The extra crease is a sign & DD didn't have it which is why I hadn't been too worried.

howabout Sat 28-May-11 21:35:53

I have an uncorrected hip dysplasia and your friend is right to point out the signs. I think you should go to the GP and ask to be referred. The sooner it is looked at the simpler it is to treat and if all is well then your mind will be put at rest.

smallpotato Sun 29-May-11 20:41:32

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, and Katy, good to know your DD was similar iyswim, DD1 was walking at 11 months so to me it seems strange for DD2 to not even be pulling herself up.

I'll make an appointment next week just to rule it out- she is a speedy crawler and v happy so I'm sure she must be fine.

smallpotato Sun 29-May-11 20:41:32

Thanks everyone for the reassurance, and Katy, good to know your DD was similar iyswim, DD1 was walking at 11 months so to me it seems strange for DD2 to not even be pulling herself up.

I'll make an appointment next week just to rule it out- she is a speedy crawler and v happy so I'm sure she must be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now