Talk

Advanced search

19 month old son temper

(3 Posts)
dmtroughton Fri 27-May-11 18:58:00

My 18 month old son has a terrible temper. I was on 20mg prozac when I was pregnant and I am wondering if this has anything to do with his temper tantrums. He throws things, hits me, headbutts me, bangs his head off any surface hard if he cannot have his own way. I've tried contacting health visitor but they never got back to me. I just don't know what to do, my other two were never like this. Anyone got any advice please? x

Owlingate Fri 27-May-11 19:03:53

No its not anything you did while PG. DC1 was headbanger, DC2 hits out and throws things and absolutely shrieks! He's probably just more strong willed than the other two. According to the age old wisdom of my ancient mother the earlier they start tantrums, the earlier they finish - certainly true with DS1.

Advice wise - the louder he gets the quieter and calmer I sound until I'm almost whispering....ignore as much as possible. Leave him alone with toys out of reach whilst he's kicking off, pref on carpet in middle of room. If he hits me I just say no hitting really quietly. Once I stopped being so shocked and reacting his tantrums have got a lot quicker and quieter. HTH

dmtroughton Fri 27-May-11 20:01:13

Thank you. Glad its not just me. It's just so hard at times.

Thanks
x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: