Talk

Advanced search

My 7mo is petrified of the hoover!!!!

(21 Posts)
LittleDonkin Fri 27-May-11 14:06:00

my 7mo DD is petrified of the hoover. For the past couple of months as soon as I turn it on she starts freaking out and crying hysterically. I have to wait until the husband comes home to do it as she seems ok if someone holds her but this isnt always practical as my husband is often away with him being in the services. Does anyone have any ideas?

AngryFeet Fri 27-May-11 14:10:11

Stop hoovering grin

My DD was afraid of the hoover until she was 5 so no help here grin

RidinOnAPig Fri 27-May-11 14:11:38

Oh NO! You won't be able to hoover for a while. Damn.

Hold onto this excuse as long as it lasts grin.

niceday Fri 27-May-11 14:24:42

Have you tried therapy?
smile

LittleDonkin Fri 27-May-11 14:36:44

What kind of therapy?????

Tee2072 Fri 27-May-11 14:37:52

Hoover therapy?

My 2 year old still hates it but has no problem with our little carpet sweeper. Just means I hoover less!

AurraSing Fri 27-May-11 15:04:15

My children were the same - I had to vacuum when they were asleep and use a manual one if needed during the day. I wouldn't worry too much about it, all it means is that you can't vacuum as often as you need to (shame). And she will grow out of it, I promise.

monkoray Fri 27-May-11 19:12:47

Yep my ds was exactly the same. We bought a roomba. Its a robotic hoover that you can schedule to go off at night. best party is you never have to hoover again.

Latootle Fri 27-May-11 19:24:19

I think it is the noise, try sitting child in front of TV up loud and then hoover but warn you are doing so. do that room when child in bed.Yes hoover then?

wearymum200 Fri 27-May-11 21:49:42

2 DC (5 and 2)still terrified of it, and the hand blender and hand driers in public toilets (the biggest problem). I think they can hear a high pitched noise we can't. Dustpan and brush!

catwhiskers10 Sat 28-May-11 09:14:42

My DD was the same, I used to carry her in a sling while hoovering as she didn't cry then but by about 9 months she got too heavy to do that any more. It got so bad that even saying the word Hoover had her hysterical. I ended up just closing her in a room, hoovering the rest of the house then quickly hoovering the room she was in then after a while I just hoovered while she screamed (god that sounds so cruel!) and within a couple of weeks she got used to it. She's now 15 months and loves the Hoover.

MoChan Sat 28-May-11 09:33:01

DD, nearly 4, was the same, and still hates it. I mostly hoover when she is at pre-school. Before pre-school, I used to take her away and make OH do it. I think it gets better over time, but I don't see the point in feeding her terror.

BLMJBM Sat 28-May-11 18:17:25

my Ds (20month) is the same, he started to get scared of it at about 10month because before that i would do the hoovering while he was asleep, when i start hoovering he runs to the other end of the room starts to cry he has also now satrted to tell me to put it away, i jus carry on hopfully he will get over it if he gets use to it.

DownyEmerald Mon 30-May-11 21:00:24

My dd was the same.

I didn't hoover a lot! But if I really had to - gps visiting or whatever - I would wear her in the sling. Which was hard work obv.

BikeRunSki Mon 30-May-11 21:07:27

My DS - 2.8 too - and hand dryers, extractor fans, food blender etc.

It seems to be getting worse. Waiting to be referred for a hearing test, although all have been fine so far and his speech is fine.

Mummyloveskisses Mon 30-May-11 22:20:47

Just keep hoovering, make sure the DC knows your going to hoover but give them space to ''escape'' if they need to and keep talking about how its a nice hoover, cleaning the house, making things tidy etc.... I used to pat it and say well done and good boy (I am NOT insane I promise) they both got used to it in a few weeks and when DD had got to around 2 I used to use the hose and give her the pipe to help! DS2 is 14months and only just out of his ''I hate the hoover'' phase.

TragicallyHip Mon 30-May-11 22:23:53

Ds used to hate it. He is 22 months and loves it! Probably too much now grin

bonkers20 Mon 30-May-11 22:34:08

Mine started to hate it at around 2YO. I just get on with it though because he's old enough for me to tell him it's OK and going to be over soon. I used to be put DS1 in the back pack when he went through the same phase.

Same with the car wash, hair dryer, washing machine. Strange really, 'cos most of the time he's making far more noise than all those things put together!

smearedinfood Thu 02-Jun-11 23:10:52

Mine too. 10 months. Get DP to take them out of the house, although managed a bit today alternating on hip

RalphGnu Mon 06-Jun-11 09:16:12

Spent months with a crumby floors because ds hated the hoover, but when he started walking I turned it into a game. I'd get the hoover out and let him see it and make loud whooshing noises while pushing an imaginary hoover until he giggled and even made up a noisy hoover song! He's no longer scared of the noise and loves to be chased by it, running away squealing in fake terror.

DeWe Mon 06-Jun-11 09:45:52

My ds was the same until he was about 3yo. Then he decided he loves it, so spends the time trying to "help". So I still did it at night because he would be leaping all over it and trying to hold onto the handle with me, so it took 3x as long.
Upside is, he's nearly 4 and he will do some of the hoovering with supervision now. He loves it. I just have to be on hand for the cries of "mummy, I've just hoovered up...." and get it out of the bag.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: