Talk

Advanced search

vitamin drops - intolerance

(8 Posts)
jsp56 Wed 25-May-11 16:52:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rockinhippy Wed 25-May-11 21:47:49

DD has the same problem, but its not the vitamins/minerals, but the chemical additives - colourants, artificial sweeteners & preservatives that causes the intolerance -

bar the pain killing effects which will counteract it, the Calpol will likely also cause him some problems too sad

TBH, if your DS is getting a good well balanced diet then you have nothing to gain by giving him vitamins etc, as he should be getting it all from his food - that was also confirmed by the nutritionalist we saw with DD - the only time a supplement may be needed is if - they are fussy eaters & you can't get them to eat a good balanced diet, complete with omega oils from fish, eggs, flax or hemp etc, calcium vegetables, pulses & grains etc,

or there are health problems going on that mean you worry they don't digest their food properly - as in my DDs case with frequent bouts of tummy pain & diareah

if this is the case, you need to find a natural additive free supplement, we use Spirulina, but I'm not sure as he;s so young, but think it would be okay, but check it out properly first - we did give DD hemp oil at that age, good source of omega oils - otherwise good food is all he needs - for immunity Zinc & Vit C in particular smile

bare in mind though, when small our DC are building up their immunity - they do that by catching lots of bugs & viruses & the body creates antibodies to that particular germ - so its perfectly normal for him to be ill a lot with various viruses at this age & for a while to come yet

Roo83 Thu 26-May-11 15:03:39

Every time I've ever given ds vitamins he's ended up badly constipated and in pain with it. I just figured he's obviously getting everything he needs (eats a very varied diet) and the 'extra' vitamins were not needed. He gets coughs/colds etc. but no more often than other friends whose kids tale vitamins

jsp56 Thu 26-May-11 21:05:06

jsp56 Thu 26-May-11 21:06:09

rockinhippy Thu 26-May-11 22:00:00

Yes - they are in lots of other processed foods, sweets, medicines, soaps, shampoo bubble bath etc etc - if you google Azo dyes & Benzoate preservatives you will find a lot more info

Not sure why it would have him waking for more feeds though, certainly didn't with DD & I've not heard of that before, waking for more feeds is usually down to hunger, so maybe a big feed before bed

real porridge is just as easy to prepare as readybrek, so you might want to try him with that, its natural so no added nasties

Do insist on a referral to a dietician though, it sounds as if you could do with some help, his tummy problems & waking 3 times a night must be exhausting for all of you sad

& yes Iron DOES cause constipation

Latootle Fri 27-May-11 19:41:43

jsp56. sounds as tho' it could be indigestion. but you could look up baby dietician yourself. both my daughters baby diets were guided by one. a Miss Bruell but I'm not sure if she is still around she is in Fulham absolutely wonderful. She also guided my daughter first her first baby when he refluxed all the time. putting him onto soya. and she was right as later he was diagnosed with milk intolerance.

jsp56 Sat 28-May-11 09:51:48

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: