Talk

Advanced search

Snorting like a piglet (TMI sorry!)

(7 Posts)
ItsMeYourCathy Mon 09-May-11 14:56:44

HELP!
My son is 6 weeks old and has had difficulty sleeping well from the start. Basically, he snorts and 'clears his throat' (sorry TMI) like a teenage boy dragging phlegm through the back of his throat. It ffects his feeding as in the morning, he's too tired to take a full feed although he is gaining weight etc well.
We've been to the GP (@ 3 wks)who put him on a course of antibiotics (he had a mucky eye then too) and said he had an upper resp tract infection - and then he got thrush from the antiobiotics - but he's still snorting. In the morning, I do notice some dry boogers there but no mucus or anything. I've been using saline drops a couple of times through the night too.

It doesnt happen if he falls asleep in the pram / buggy / arms / widgey pillow.

I am at a loss to what this is and so is HV / GP.

He was a c section baby and popular consensus seems to be that he didn't get enough mucus squeezed out at birth because of this and should eventually grow out of it.

Anyone experienced this? Anyone offer any advice?

x

ZimboMum Mon 09-May-11 15:34:16

It might help if you prop the moses basket/crib up on a couple of big books at the head end. We ended up doing this for the whole time our DS was in his moses basket as otherwise he snuffled and snorted throughout the night and woke us all up. All the other places that he fell asleep he wasn't totally horizontal so never seemed to have the same problem. He did grow out of it and now he's in his cot he doesn't seem to snuffle at all during the night.

HTH.

fishtankbrain Mon 09-May-11 19:37:00

We had exactly the same with DS2 (6 weeks) for the first month - he was also a C-section baby.

Dr couldn't find anything wrong and he grew out of it after a month (he's really big - 91st centile - so was probably the size of an average 8 week old when he stopped doing it).

We found that propping the Moses basket made it a bit better, but I think it's just something they need to grow out of.

HTH.

Octaviapink Mon 09-May-11 20:05:11

DS was born vaginally and has exactly the same thing. He's 5 months old now and it doesn't wake him up snorting and distressed at 4.30 am anymore, but he does sound blocked up when he feeds, and has the most AMAZING bogies. I'm guessing he'll just grow out of it as it doesn't seem to hinder his feeding and it's definitely less than it was. Slow process though. The saline drops definitely seemed to help.

ItsMeYourCathy Mon 16-May-11 08:40:58

Thanks all. Been propping him up from the beginning, doesn't seem to have much effect. Particularly bad last night, me crying and him sounding like he was drowning. I have no idea what to do except hope he grows out of it too x

theillustratedmum Tue 17-May-11 14:12:24

Have you tried a nasal aspirator?

ItsMeYourCathy Fri 27-May-11 13:23:10

Hi all - yep, tried that but his little nostrils are too small yet.
Thanks for all the advice BUT (fingers crossed) he seems to be growing out of it....! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now