Talk

Advanced search

Anyone participated in a mother-baby observation project?

(15 Posts)
Wigeon Tue 05-Apr-11 16:38:25

Has anyone participated in a long-term mother-baby observation, to help out a student as part of a postgraduate course in something child-development related? Being observed by the student an hour once a week over several months, that kind of thing? How did it go? Would you do it again? What was good / bad?

Any experiences welcome - I am pregnant and considering participating in this kind of thing.

Thanks a lot!

Wigeon Tue 05-Apr-11 20:28:33

Evening bump?

NameChange1234 Tue 05-Apr-11 21:33:41

no, but it sounds interesting. I'd definitely do it.

pipplin Wed 06-Apr-11 11:33:00

No but I would definitely be interested.

painfullyhonest Thu 07-Apr-11 20:43:46

I would be interested also. How do you find out about where these things are happening?

Wigeon Fri 08-Apr-11 18:46:32

Well, there are relatively often postings on the relevant boards here (eg the Pregnancy board) - I just happened to see one recently (hence this thread).

I suppose if you were particularly interested you could contact local colleges / universities which offer higher education qualifications in things like child development, child psychology etc, to see if they were looking for mothers and babies.

UniS Fri 08-Apr-11 19:00:15

I did. I was asked by staff at our local children's centre if I would be willing to help a play therapy student. The student needed to observe a parent and child playing on a regular basis over 6 months. The purpose of the observations was to improve the students skills in observations. It was six months in which DS went from sitting baby to walking toddler, from ignoring student to greeting her and wanting to involve her in his play ( which she found hard to deal with , but thats WHY she was learning obs skills) . Student came to play group and the park with us, walked to the shops with us, meet us at our house a number of times , came to a treasure baskets group we went to. a whole range of times and locations.

I was offered a copy of her observations but declined them, I did accept a short video clip she took of us at one point tho.

No payment. Student was kind enough to give DS and I a thank you present at the end.

Whyriskit Fri 08-Apr-11 19:15:54

no, but I did one, with a couple of other psychology students when I was an undergraduate. It was to do observing mother/child interaction. We videoed them playing and then analysed the tape (it was a while ago!) millisecond by millisecond. V interesting project!

glasnost Sun 10-Apr-11 10:41:24

I'm doing it now. Started in November when my baby was 2 months old and it will continue til September when he'll be 1. Must admit I get on with the student so well we often end up chatting but she assures me she's observing away even then! It's gratifying to know me and little un are helping her in her studies. She's writing her first report on the obs so far and even asked me which fictitious names I wanted her to choose for me and DS. She said it's surprisingly difficult to get new mums to do them so is grateful.

So I'd say go for it!

MonkeyandParrot Sun 10-Apr-11 21:36:53

Not as such but I did regular short studies at my local uni with the phsycology students with my first - they would cover travel expenses and provide a £10 to cover 'any other costs'. Meant that for an hours study we got a free day out with a free lunch :-) Some of the studies were really intresting as well and a real insight into DD1s development.

Wigeon Sun 10-Apr-11 22:31:55

Thanks very much for replies. The milisecond video tape sounds scary! That's great to know you are enjoying it glasnost.

I am meeting the student (a bloke, probably quite unusually) tomorrow so hopefully will feel happy to definitely agree to it!

Mollymax Sun 10-Apr-11 22:40:21

When i was at college many years ago it was called a baby study. We observed a baby with its mother once a week for a year.
I really enjoyed doing it.
Funnily enough the baby i studied is now working for my husband - nothing to do with me - just a small world.

Wigeon Mon 11-Apr-11 18:49:23

Thansk Mollymax - how funny about the coincidence.

Well, I met the chap and agreed to take part - looking forward to it! Now I just need to actually have the baby (due in 4 and a half weeks) smile.

Mollymax Mon 11-Apr-11 22:41:05

Good luck with it all.
It may be worth asking him if you can have copies of everything.
Would be a great diary for you and wonderful to keep.
All the best for the birth and onwards, i am very envious, i love new borns

Gonce Thu 13-Oct-11 20:31:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now