Talk

Advanced search

Night-time Bedwetting

(7 Posts)
Primavera Fri 11-Mar-11 00:16:56

Can u tell me what sheets u use at night? My 5+ DS still wets the bed 2x a night and I am back and forth in pull-ups when I get fed up with the changing and washing. He still has daytime constipation/withholding/dry issues so I am not really bothered about the nights but is it best to use waterproof plastic sheets, brolly sheets, waterproof pads or waterproof matress protectors? Where should I buy? He just cannot last all night and he does drink loads and always wants a drink by his bed and I don't feel right to not let him have it. TIA

TheVisitor Fri 11-Mar-11 00:36:26

I'd just keep him in the night time pants for now and save yourself the washing. He's still little and you can guarantee that he won't be the only bedwetter in his class.

rabbitstew Fri 11-Mar-11 08:56:19

I would also go back to nappy pants for now. If he's wet twice a night and still has daytime problems, it really isn't going to cure him to let him wet the bed twice a night, losing important hours of sleep being changed or waking up wet and uncomfortable first thing in the morning. And if having the indignity of waking up wet twice a night isn't going to sensitise him into waking up before he's wet the bed, then why put him and yourself through it?

NeverendingStoryteller Wed 16-Mar-11 13:50:14

After 8 months of trying to figure this all out, my 5 yo DS has just has has first week of dry nights! So I feel your pain! Here's what I found worked - no guarantees for you little one, but hope you find it useful:

Don't use pull-ups for boys - they are useless because of night time erections - when willy goes up, wee goes everywhere - usually all over your sheets. I put DS back into nappies and it almost completely stopped all leakage and I went back to washing sheets only once a week. Being back in nappies certainly provided mine with a reason to want to get dry - he was pretty embarrassed about being a 'baby' in nappies!

I then went and bought a night time wetting alarm. NHS won't usually provide this for kids under 7, so go and buy one - they are expensive but you will eventually save money on nappies and washing costs - and you can sell it again on ebay once you've finished with it.

The alarm worked within 3 weeks. Initially, I put him in a pyjama top, a pair of underpants with the sensor over the material on his underpants, then covered the underpants with a disposable nappy. I slept in his bedroom and got him up and to the toilet every time the alarm went off. I only had to do this for 3 weeks.

I spent an extra week figuring out why little one was still laying in bed weeing himself, rather than getting up for the toilet. Fixed the night time lighting issue in the house and we haven't had an accident since.

Good luck - hope this helps!

I still use a waterproof plastic undersheet, in case of future accidents, but I totally recommend

whoops Wed 16-Mar-11 14:05:32

my ds is 9 and has night wetting problems, what neverending has said is brilliant advice but also you need to get his constipation problems sorted too as that won't be helping.

Henwelly Wed 16-Mar-11 19:56:42

My doctor told me that constipation can make a child incontinent - the build up puts pressure on the bladder, so I would say get that soretd first and then hopefully the rest will follow smile

Mads Mon 12-Sep-11 13:45:05

Having struggled for years with our 7 years old daughter with nightly bedwetting and trying all sorts of different things (hypno tapes, changes in diet and fluids and even the alarm the NHS provided with the horrible plastic sheet and grey wires) we finally have had TOTAL success with the RODGER alarm. This will sound like an ad but I promise it isn't - I am just so delighted it worked so well I want other people who struggled like we did to know about it. It's expensive but it worked. Big things that were better than other alarms were: (1) it's wireless so nothing to get caught up in (or disconnect) (2) it comes with comfy white or blue cotton alarm-specific pants with the sensor sewn into the fabric in thin wires so no lumpy/hard bit right by their privates (just a small transmitter at the waistband that's about 2cmx2cmx1cm) so they can still wear their normal pjamas - no bare bottom half and (3) a choice of alarm sounds so our daughter could choose a musical one that woke her up but (as she put it, bless her) 'doesn't sound like something's gone badly wrong'. It didn't work immediately and we had to wake her up when the alarm went off for the first few nights, but within a week she was mainly waking up herself and now 5 months on she has been completely dry all night for over 3 months. Even on holiday. I wish we had found it ages ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now