Talk

Advanced search

Lady in the street thought my DD was a boy :-(

(64 Posts)
SAHmummy Fri 21-Jan-11 15:13:32

I was gutted! I felt like doing a Rachel from friends and taping a bow to her head!!!

she is only 5 months but I thought I dressed her pretty girlie.

stupid old lady!!!!!

(just thought I would rant) angry

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 21-Jan-11 15:15:40

Don't worry about it.. some random woman assumed my DS was a girl (he has curly blonde hair), despite the fact that he looks like a boy, and had very boyish clothes on.

Some people are just weird.

whomovedmychocolate Fri 21-Jan-11 15:15:44

Relax - DD was dressed head to toe in pink IN A DRESS with a bow in her long long hair at 18 months and a woman asked what 'his' name was. They do that. Particularly old people. Perhaps she was partially sighted.

If it makes you feel any better my DS has also been mistaken for a girl, despite the fact he's a bruiser and looks very boyish.

HettyAmaretti Fri 21-Jan-11 15:16:19

Oh, everyone always thought my DD was a boy, regardless of what she was wearing hmm. No idea why she just looked like a baby to me!

Try not to let it get to you, I'm afraid it's likely to happen again.

berri Fri 21-Jan-11 15:16:55

Don't worry - my DS gets confused for a girl all the time. His hair is quite long, but not girlie long! And he's always in dark-ish boy clothes (never dresses!) and brown boots, so I think people are just odd!!

tethersend Fri 21-Jan-11 15:17:04

DD is 2 and is constantly mistaken for a boy. You get used to it smile

Kayzr Fri 21-Jan-11 15:17:13

My Ds's are always been mistaken for girls as they have curly hair. I just tell them they are boys.

Ignore it.

purplepidjin Fri 21-Jan-11 15:23:20

DP and I went to Newquay for NYE once... HE kept getting mistaken for a girl...

(Admittedly, we had dressed him in a corset and a pink net tutu...)

SAHmummy Fri 21-Jan-11 15:27:50

ah thanks guys. good to know it is not just mine. She doesn't have much hair so maybe that is why she looks boyish! she will definitely be wearing lots of pink from now on smile

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Fri 21-Jan-11 15:47:02

Take no notice. Some people think any child not dressed head to foot in pink must be a boy.

I once had an old lady call me "sonny" when I was 13 - that was a bit of a shocker!

Davsmum Fri 21-Jan-11 15:50:09

My DD had hardly any hair until she was 3 and I lost count of how many times people asked me how old my little boy was !!

I have to admit, unless babies are dressed in pink and pretty dresses or blue and boys clothes I find it difficult to tell what sex they are too.
Could be worse,.. my older sister, who has very short hair was called 'sir' in a restaurant a couple of years ago,.. that upset her !

seaweedhead Fri 21-Jan-11 15:59:14

DS has been mistaken for a girl a few times. Apparently boys don't have long eyelashes hmm

nickelbabysnatcher Fri 21-Jan-11 16:01:16

I know i'll hate it if it happens to me, but don't start dressing her really girly to counteract it - it won't make a difference and it'll stifle her growth (ie she'll believe that all girls are girly/pink/sickening.

maybe she's soooo old she remembers when pink was for a boy?

izzybiz Fri 21-Jan-11 16:04:31

My 2 year old Ds is mistaken for a girl all the time.
Fair enough he does have quite long hair (I love it) but he is always dressed in 'boyish' clothes.
It will always happen!

ThatsNotMyAlpaca Fri 21-Jan-11 16:06:43

This happend to me all the time. DD is a very girly looking baby but does quite often dress in blue because they were the hand me owns we got grin

TBh it never bothered me, it is just a random stranger so i don't normally bother corecting them.

breakneckLouboutins Fri 21-Jan-11 16:06:59

Not the end of the world.

maxybrown Fri 21-Jan-11 16:11:17

lol, DS aged 3.4 still gets reffered to as a little girl - he doe NOT have curly hair!! In fact just recently I keep being asked, is it a boy or a girl? IT? IT? lol grin

libelulle Fri 21-Jan-11 16:13:44

Usually i dont mind- dd has v little hair aged nearly 3 - but I once commented on what a pretty dress the woman in front of me in the queue was buying for her dd. She looked at my dd and said 'yes well not for you dear eh' I know she was assuming dd was a boy, but I did see red and snap 'why on earth not?'. IMO it's forgivable if the offender is an elderly lady, but a mother with a toddler ought to know better than to make assumptions like that.

MrsvWoolf Fri 21-Jan-11 16:15:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

traceybath Fri 21-Jan-11 16:15:34

I really wouldn't worry.

DS1 was often mistaken for a girl.

DD whose 18 months often mistaken for a boy because I don't dress her in lots of pink - seems to be the case that navy blue coat = boy for some reason.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 21-Jan-11 16:17:22

seaweedhead -my DS used to get mistaken for a girl all the time due to the most beautifully long, dark eyelashes.

In fact I'm sure DP said it happened recently when they were in the supermarket. DS is now 6 and, other than aforementioned eyelashes and slightly longer than average hair, is very boyish looking.

monkeyflippers Fri 21-Jan-11 16:18:40

People ALWAYS do that!

4boyzmum Fri 21-Jan-11 17:53:09

some people are blind...or stupid! my gorgeous ds is always being mistaken for a girl - 3 times once in one walk along the beach!! think its as his hair is blonde, curly and a little bit longer than normal 'boy length'. plus he has huge brown eyes with lashes to die for!! tho we dress him in very boyish clothes it seems people cant see past his hair! bothers dh more than me tho it is annoying cos hes OBVIOUSLY a boy!

Mumof4Monsters Fri 21-Jan-11 17:56:48

My ASD Daughter got her own back by asking, at the top of her voice, if the person with long hair was a woman, it wasnt!!

undercovamutha Fri 21-Jan-11 18:06:00

When I was younger (6 or 7 probably) I used to get mistaken for a boy (bad haircut by my mum - sigh!)and it did really upset me, so I was a bit paranoid of it happening to my DD (silly I know!). As a result she wore a LOT of pink as a baby/toddler. As a result she has a severe Disney princess obsession, so I wouldn't recommend it grin!

FWIW DS (21m) often gets mistaken for a girl. I don't care a jot though - I know it is just because noone can believe how gorgeous he is wink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now