Talk

Advanced search

3 month old- feeding to sleep

(12 Posts)
ginandtonic1 Mon 10-Jan-11 20:40:16

Wondered if anyone could help. It's become apparent that i'm feeding (breast) my 3 month old baby to sleep. It's sort of happened by accident and i'm worried that i might be "creating a rod for my own back". She doesn't like a dummy and will spit this out, so i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas that i could try.
Thanks!

leggymambo Mon 10-Jan-11 20:59:14

I don't think you should worry, 3 months is still very little and i always found feeding to sleep quite useful! (Assuming you're not finding it too much of a problem at the mo?)

Tryharder Mon 10-Jan-11 22:02:26

Absolutely normal. Don't see any problem with it and at this age, they need the comfort and closeness - breastfeeding is so much more than about nutrition.

I suspect you have been listening to your MIL. smile

essenceofSES Mon 10-Jan-11 22:07:15

As long as you are both happy with it, no problem. My DS fed to sleep every night until about 14mo! He now can self settle within 20mins. I was warned about making a rod for my back but I wouldn't do it differently again.

AngelDog Tue 11-Jan-11 20:52:38

Agree with all the above. I spent too long when DS was tiny worrying about this. At 8 months it didn't work for daytime naps any more.

If we have another DC I'd feed them to sleep from the word go.

KathMCB Wed 12-Jan-11 16:24:15

Ginandtonic1 My LO is 11 weeks old and we feed him to sleep about half the time and its not a problem IMO. He naps during the day without a feed required and I think as long as you are happy then it is not an issue

serendipity81 Wed 12-Jan-11 19:07:14

Hi there, my lo is just coming up to a year and only accidently began feeding her to sleep when she was about 5/6 months - it was summer and I wanted to make sure she was well hydrated. Before that we had endless battles walking and patting and crying all through the night simply because the HV told me to only feed 3 hourly and that she didn't nutritionally need to be fed through the night from 6 monthsshock! We still have disrupted nights but I think this might be more due to her confused start to feeding than anything else. A couple of mins of feeding will put her back to sleep now no probs, I wish I had done it from the start. I cant imagine anything more natural. She naps without me during the day and it hasn't been an issue - apparantly it's common for babies to find their own sleep associations and patterns for different people and places. Hope that helps, good luck and keep it up if it works for you. I've learned to just manage today and worry about future problems as and when the arise. Enjoy your lovely baby and try not to worry about things too much

vesela Wed 12-Jan-11 21:41:23

Feeding to sleep is a very useful invention - I don't know where I'd have been without it! They do it for a good reason

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 12-Jan-11 21:43:06

Carry on

Feeding to sleep is wonderful, I used it for as long as I could.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 12-Jan-11 21:46:10

I really wouldn't fight against it, just go with the flow as it were smile

Feeding to sleep is very, very useful, especially when they wake in the night. A quick feed and everyone is back asleep. Lovely.

walkinZombie Thu 13-Jan-11 17:01:18

you should really worry at 3 months still very little

I breastfed until 4 months, my son would feed for a hour! he always fell asleep.

then as a slightly older baby he could play himself to sleep like 6+

I miss those days lol..

chocolatebourbon Thu 13-Jan-11 20:59:19

What everyone else has said...it's not a problem at all. My little one was the same and now is just over one year old. He still feeds to sleep every evening and then sleeps through the night. He has recently started going down for his lunchtime nap without feeding to sleep (provided he is in a cot, pram or carseat - if on an aeroplane or otherwise on my lap then milk is required and indeed incredibly useful!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: