Talk

Advanced search

5 days old...am I doing it right?

(7 Posts)
Cbell Mon 10-Jan-11 15:50:15

I have a five day old little girl who is utterly perfect and adorable (no honestly!).
and would like some opinions/ advice on feeding and sleeping patterns.

Feeding:

She seems a fairly sleepy baby. I appreciate that she has spent her first few days 'jet lagged' from the birth but she does seem content to doze her days away. The midwife recommend that I feed her 6-8 times for 20 minutes every 24 hours.

However, because she is sleepy I have mostly been waking her for feeds every 3-4 hours and sometimes she feeds for 20 minutes at other times 5 - 10 minutes. I am not too worried about this as she is gaining weight and her poop is the right colour. But why is she so willing to sleep? Why isn't she more demanding for food?

Sleeping:
We have a three sided cot that works as an extension to our bed. The intention was that she would sleep in there. However she is so tiny she often sleeps next to one of us or on us. She seems happy with this but is this OK? What about sleeping through the night? How oh how do you accomplish this? She is restless the early part of the night - then feeds at 3am ish and sleeps for 3-4 hours.

I am just not sure if we are doing it right. I am trying to follow my instincts and keep her as happy as possible but wonder what more experienced parents do.

Tillyscoutsmum Mon 10-Jan-11 15:52:58

Sounds like you're doing fine to me smile She will gradually get more "awake" and may demand more food (particularly during growth spurts) but in the meantime, if she is happy and gaining weight etc., I really wouldn't worry.

As for sleeping through the night - 5 days seems a bit too early to be worrying about it wink. Just go with the flow for now

Tee2072 Mon 10-Jan-11 15:54:01

She's 5 days old, she won't sleep through the night for quite awhile. Probably months or longer.

If she's creating wet and dirty nappies her feeding is fine. Follow her lead.

And congratulations!

hambo Mon 10-Jan-11 15:58:10

Feeding:

I never woke my babies to feed as they were putting on weight. I never timed their feeds - they stopped when full I presumed!

Perhaps she is feeding for 5 mins as she is not hungry..perhaps as you are waking her to feed?

They went on to be good night sleepers and 2 yr old still sleeps 2 - 3 hours in the day...(bed at 7pm - 7am for him and 4 yr old brother).

When they were tiny they slept in a moses basket and moved to their cot when too big for that....

She is only 5 days old and apparently they dont get bad habits until 4 mths?? Also - in 2 weeks or so you will feel and be an expert on your daughter!!!

Sleeping through the night...a whole new thread!

Good luck to you all!

Cbell Mon 10-Jan-11 20:12:10

Thank you for all the reassurance and advice.

This post should actually read 5 day old mother...is freaking out!

StartingAfresh Mon 10-Jan-11 20:15:14

Cbell

Gosh, what a lucky little girl!

Keep this OP, please. It's absolutely adorable smile. And what a fantastic start for your daughter that she has such in-tune and responsive parents.

jollyma Mon 10-Jan-11 20:24:01

Keep up the good work. Sounds like you've cracked cuddles, clean nappies and milk when requested, what more does a baby need at 5 days old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now