Talk

Advanced search

6 year old - new house and school HELP

(12 Posts)
Nagley Sun 09-Jan-11 21:06:57

Hi there.

I write to please get some advice about my 6 1/2 year old son.

We moved 4 weeks ago to a lovely new house (which is perfect) which has meant that my 6 1/2 year old son (year 2) has had to change school (and my daughter of 3 has had to change pre-school). My concern is about my son.

He is a very adaptable boy but I am struggling to understand and deal with his behaviour.

He started the new school two weeks prior to Christmas, unfortuantely he was physcially hurt a couple of times so the Christmas break was timed to perfection.

On returning to school this week he cried on the first day and coped ok'ish the following 2. tonight (Sunday) he is in bed again nearly crying saying he misses me at school and does not want to go.

To add to it he seems to be unable to cope with his emotions, such as taking it in turns when we visit friends and sharing, he seems totally selfish.

I know moving is BIG step as I miss my friends greatly, but I am not sure how to deal with his emotions and discipline him at the same time.

Advice GREATLY appreciated. Apologies for waffling.

Thanks.

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 21:26:19

Was he hurt by other children? If so his reaction is entirely udertandable in my opinion. Not only did he arrive right before Christmas when everything is topsy turvy anyway..but he was hurt!

Nagley Sun 09-Jan-11 21:50:01

Yeah he was hurt, about 3 times. Once by a nasty boy, the other time with a 'new friend' who got a bit carried away.

I agree that christmas it a trickey time too.

I just worry so much!

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 21:57:01

Is it settled now? With the kids who hurt him?

I wouldn't worry too muc about discipline..not at the moment...more about instillin confidence and perhaps geting him to some new actvities...maybe Beavers or similar?

If you can, volunteer as a reader and he will feel more part of the place once you are involved.

Nagley Sun 09-Jan-11 21:59:34

Thanks for replying.

The child who really hurt him, we are not sure who it is. The 'new friend' that hurt him is playing nicely with him and has come to his new home to play :-)

I had similar thoughts about discipline and confidence! Recently booked football (he loves), beavers and swimming.

Thank you once again x

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:02:13

Can you invite a new friend home to play? It might help to make him feel more bonded with his new friends.
It will probably help you to get to know some local friends too when parents come to drop off or pick up.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:02:46

oops - x post - sorry

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:04:18

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help him. I know it is a cliche but I suspect he just needs time and patience - not always easy - we are only human.

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 22:04:22

Oh good...he'll be just fine! Teething troubles are to be expected really. Wait until this time next year and ll this will be like a bad dream.

My DD is probably going to move schools and homes this year too...she is also in year 2...I think its young enough to adjust well.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Jan-11 22:05:30

I moved at this age and it was very strange to begin with but it soon passed. Young kids adapt very quickly.

WimpleOfTheBallet Sun 09-Jan-11 22:20:43

That's good to hear Carrots...it's a worry beccause they're not exactly toddlers any more and have formed friends...but having seen the way the girls in my DDs class welcomed to new girls this year I am somewht comforted...they were treated like minor celebrities and settled very well.

Nagley Sun 09-Jan-11 22:22:50

Thanks for all your comments. I hope things settle soon.

I have been invited on a mums night out next Saturday. Am terrified but hope to work out who is who when I go x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now