Talk

Advanced search

oring one, sorry: How heavy to they have to be to go into the 2nd stage car seat?

(14 Posts)
notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:08:44

Ds getting way too long for the 1st sized one!
TIA

Seona1973 Thu 06-Jan-11 13:17:36

From here

Stage 1 = Groups 0 and 0+
Stage 2 = Group 1
Stage 3 = Group 2
Stage 4 = Group 3

Rearward-facing Baby Seats
Group 0: for babies up to 10 kgs (22 lbs) roughly from birth to 6-9 months, or

Group 0+: for babies up to 13kg (29lbs) roughly from birth to 12-15 months

Forward-facing child seat
Group 1: for children weighing 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs) roughly from 9 months - 4 years

Booster seats and booster cushions
Group 2: for children weighing 15 - 25 kgs (33 - 55 lbs) roughly 4 to 6 years.

Group 3: for children weighing 22 - 36 kgs (48 - 79 lbs) roughly from 6 - 11 years.

You do also get rear facing seats that do up to age 4 but they dont have info about them on the site

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:23:23

Thanks seona smile

I need to get him weighed

He was last weighed at 18w and was 15.8

Now 21w so probably not far off 20 but is way too long for the 1st stage one already... am worried about his legs in the event of an accident (God forbid)

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:23:55

LAst weighed when he was 12w not 18w

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Jan-11 13:29:24

they need to be at least 9kg and 9 months old

but it's safer to keep them rear-facing for as long as possible

see here and here

it doesn't matter at all if his legs touch the back of the seat, or if he has to bend them. afaik no child has ever broken a leg in an accident due to being rear-facing, and if they did it's better than the possible alternatives!

he hasn't outgrown his seat until his head is over the top of the back- even then it is dangerous to put him forward facing until he is 9kg/9months

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:34:13

OK so he was just over 7kg at last weigh in

Do I wait until he hits 9kg or til he is 9m?

He is not yet 5m, if he keeps on the same rate of growth he will exceed 9kg way before 9m, I should think

SookyStackhouse Thu 06-Jan-11 13:34:57

My son is 10kg at seven months and bursting out of his first seat but we were advised by the fitter at Mothercare that he shouldn't go to the next seat until he is able to sit unaided for 5 - 10 minutes. So he is still getting crammed into the old one!

BertieBotts Thu 06-Jan-11 13:35:38

I agree with thisisyesterday. It's definitely their head you need to watch rather than their legs.

If you are really concerned you could think about a combination seat like the Britax First Class, or when he is 9kg you could get one of the extended rear facing seats.

BertieBotts Thu 06-Jan-11 13:38:03

9kg is the minimum - most first stage seats will be fine until 13kg (but most children outgrow in length before weight) - when calculating length you only go on now far his head is from the top though, the legs are irrelevant.

DS fitted into his seat until he was 18 months, he is small, but he's always been on the 75th centile for height. The seats themselves say they are suitable up to 12-15 months.

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:39:11

Thankyou smile

Based on all that info, I reckon he'll be ok in it for longer thsn I 1st thought

Bugger to carry though grin

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Jan-11 13:40:51

you need to wait until he is at LEAST 9 months

it';s about them being strong enough to bear the force of a crash.

if you have a head-on collision your babies head will be flung violently forward. this can cause internal decapitation which i believe is the biggest cause of child deaths in car accidents (i read that someone but not sure where so i might be wrong)

it really, really, really isn't worth the risk.
i think we're the only country that advises forward facing so early. in america they have to be at least a year, and in scandinavia and thereabouts children normally travel rear-facing until they're about 4

BertieBotts Thu 06-Jan-11 13:41:02

Yes - I started leaving the seat in the car after a while grin you'd have to do that with the next stage seat anyway! And it's useful to have the option to bring the entire seat in if they're asleep rather than having to sit in the car with them for half an hour.

DancingThroughLife Thu 06-Jan-11 13:49:10

Thisisyesterday beat me to it.

In an accident, I'd be far more worried about DD's head and neck than her legs. Even though her head control is fantastic, if you're in the sort of accident that can give an adult whiplash, it doesn't bear thinking about what would happen to a baby.

notnowbernard Thu 06-Jan-11 13:50:30

You've convinced me

Thankyou smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: