Talk

Advanced search

I can't remember, when are they supposed to start talking?

(16 Posts)
Pinkjenny Wed 05-Jan-11 13:49:04

Ds is almost 13mo, still only saying, 'Mama'. Nothing else. He babbles and gurgles and sings and is never quiet, but still only one discernible word.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but I'm sure dd had lots of words by 13mo. Don't want to compare them, but also wanted to see what the average time is.

willowthecat Wed 05-Jan-11 14:00:11

13 months is still normal range for first words - most parents whose concerns turned out to be real, realise around 16-18 months that there is a problem but lack of speech is rarely the only sign. Hope this makes sense.

Niecie Wed 05-Jan-11 14:04:41

I would have said it was unusual to have a lot of words at 13 mths. One of mine did and it was often commented on.

I think the books say on average a child should have a range of words by 18 months and 2 word sentences by the age of 2.

It isn't always a smooth progression either. They can go from hardly any words one day to full sentences a few weeks later as my other DS did.

I wouldn't have said that your DS was anything but normal. smile

maktaitai Wed 05-Jan-11 14:06:53

If your child has no other recognisable words by 18 months, I'd suggest getting a referral maybe. by the sound of it, I'd be amazed if that happened smile

Em3978 Wed 05-Jan-11 14:08:15

Yup, my DS went from no words at all (just 'uh' and pointing) at 22 months to 3 word sentences within a week!

He'd been listening a lot obviously!!! ;)

Can't shut him up now (nearly 3) we have a running commentary on life!!!

Niecie Wed 05-Jan-11 14:17:46

Probably what is more important at 13 months is whether or not your DS appears to be listening to you and showing some understanding.

debka Wed 05-Jan-11 14:50:56

My DD had no recognisable words at 18mo. The next week something just clicked, and now, at 21mo, she never stops. They are all different.

Pinkjenny Wed 05-Jan-11 14:54:37

Niecie - oh yes, he understands and listens. Lots of pointing, and 'uh, uh' to demonstrate what he is pointing at, but no real words yet.

ChocolateMoose Wed 05-Jan-11 14:59:41

DS 16 months and only one word as yet, used pretty indiscriminately. Does animal sounds for his books but as for communicating what he wants it's mainly pointing and uh, uh or pointing and urgghnngh if we ignore him.

LeninGrad Wed 05-Jan-11 15:02:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notnowbernard Wed 05-Jan-11 15:10:13

I've yet to meet a 2nd or subsequent child who has started talking earlier than the 1st, if that's any help

Pinkjenny Wed 05-Jan-11 15:11:56

notnowbernard - it did cross my mind that the level of one to one time he gets compared with what dd had is virtually nil. Poor little ds grin

notnowbernard Wed 05-Jan-11 15:13:43

I think it's more to do with the fact that they don't have to put the effort in - they've got an older one/s running around for them, responding to their various points and grunts grin

Pinkjenny Wed 05-Jan-11 15:18:22

Also, very true.

ILoveItWhenYouCallMeBoo Wed 05-Jan-11 15:22:11

my ds is 19 months and only has a few words, mama, dada, puppy, bear, shoes and his brother's name.

Niecie Wed 05-Jan-11 20:29:49

Not always true about the 2nd one talking later. My DS2 was the one who was saying lots of words at 13 months and talking in full sentences by 18 mths. DS1 didn't talk for ages (20mths) although was speaking better than the 'average' by the age of 2 - he had a massive improvement in just a few weeks

However, my brother was a much later talker than me, to the extent that he was taken to the GP and had lots of test on hearing etc. I wonder if it is more the case that if the 1st born is a girl and therefore statistically likely to talk earlier, and 2nd born a boy the girl will look particularly good in comparison. My mother always said I talked on behalf of my brother too!! He didn't need to talk.smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: