Talk

Advanced search

time to think about possibly introducing potty or still too young?

(10 Posts)
maighdlin Tue 04-Jan-11 22:29:05

My DD is 17 months and absolutely loves her naked run around before bed. its really funny, but when she does a wee on the floor she freaks out and runs away (usually whilst still peeing) after a minute she dutifully gets a baby wipe and cleans it up (not making this up, obviously not well but she bends over and rubs the floor).

anyway last night she was running around and then i noticed she was just about to do a pee and i had one of her play stacking cups in my hand and used it to catch the pee. she thought this was hilarious. then tonight we stripped her off and she went and got one of her cups and held it to her bits whilst running around. my DH then suggested about getting a wee potty to have in when shes naked just to see what she makes of it. maybe try and catch the pee once in it and then leave it and see what she does.

do you think there is no harm in giving it a go or should we just leave it?

onlyjuststillme Tue 04-Jan-11 22:31:46

I dont see what harm it could do?

autodidact Tue 04-Jan-11 22:38:56

No harm at all in having a potty around to introduce her to the idea. I wouldn't expect her to use it consistently for a few months at least though. Many people find that their child is more ready nearer age 2 than 1, I think.

Niecie Tue 04-Jan-11 22:41:45

No harm in giving it a go so long as you don't have any expectation that she ready to be potty trained. If she is then great but don't try and impose anything on her - it won't work unless she is ready and she is still very young. It will only make you both miserable to try and train her is she isn't ready.

But you won't know unless you try!

llareggub Tue 04-Jan-11 22:43:50

My DS did this at around 13/14 months or so but it took until he was 3.5 years before he was dry! Don't expect too much, it is still very early.

CardyMow Tue 04-Jan-11 22:57:07

My DS1 was dry during the day (his choice, he took his nappy off and refused to have it put bak on!) at 18 months old. If she is showing signs of wanting to use the 'potty' (or stacking cup lol) then it is the best time to give it a try!

thecaptaincrocfamily Tue 04-Jan-11 23:04:52

No harm in having it around to get used to the idea. If she is going a couple of hours without a wet nappy, can tell you she is doing a wee and is happy to sit on it then she is probably ready. Go naked at the bottom for a few days at home. If she is still missing lots leave it until a few months later and try again.

MrsDmitriTippensKrushnic Tue 04-Jan-11 23:12:21

I introduced the potty (well, potty chair) at around 18 months just so the Dcs got used to the idea of it, and like you said, so that I could occasionally catch them when they had time off without a nappy. I didn't push the actual training until I was sure they were ready. DS1 was almost 3 as was DS2 whereas DD just started using it off her own bat at just over 2.

We did lots of 'role play' using teddies etc, but I'll admit they did just use it as toy storage at first grin

ChippingIn Tue 04-Jan-11 23:16:41

If it helps you any, I was dry - day and night - at 16 months, my Mum was on a mission as she was taking me travelling grin

Suzihaha Tue 04-Jan-11 23:22:00

DS2 is 17 months and likes to pee in the toilet now that his older brother is doing it; not every day and not consistently either. I just see it as a game. If they end up being trained then it's a bonus!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: