Talk

Advanced search

When can I expect my 5 year old to be dry at night?

(7 Posts)
lovemysleep Tue 04-Jan-11 22:06:12

My daughter has been wetting the bed consistently since June of this year - she had been mainly dry, with the odd accident, since October of the previous year.
She doesn't seem to have any worries/concerns that could have triggered this.
We have been using nappy pants since September - she wanted to use them and seemed to feel more secure. I have tried limiting drinks, lifting her at night etc, but research I've done has suggested that this is off little benefit anyhow.
She is a very deep sleeper, so I think this may be the reason - I am hoping to ride it out really, and not make an issue about it, as I think she will probably grow out of it. I have looked at bedwetting alarms, but was wondering if anyone else has some advice or reassurances that this is nothing to worry about.
My only concern at this point is that if I leave it too long, she may struggle to grow out of it, and then may miss out on sleepovers and school trips when she is older. This may be just a dose of mum paranoia/worry...you all know about that feeling, don't you? grin

TickettyBoo Tue 04-Jan-11 22:48:11

Hi lovemysleep

I can't advise from my own experience as such by I do remember my niece having this problem when she was younger - I'm sure my sister said it turned out she had a "lazy bladder" and was in such a deep sleep at night she literally wouldn't wake up and her bladder wouldn't hold out or give her signals to wake up - might be worth mentioning to your GP as I think she had tablets just for a short-time that helped.

The only other thing I can remembr my sis doing was waking her up when they went to bed and taking her to the toilet, even though she was half asleep she did sometimes "go" and this helped sometimes x

jetgirl Tue 04-Jan-11 22:56:48

She sounds like my dd who grew out of it properly about 2 months ago, she turned 5 in August. We went down the nappy pants route, then when she said she wanted to go without, we would take her to the toilet when we went to bed until again she said she wanted to try a whole night, and she did it. I was beginning to worry, but tried really hard not to let dd see, and the fact that she was happy and confident in herself really helped her.

AllOverIt Wed 05-Jan-11 08:24:14

I was about to start a thread on this. DS is 4 and is such a deep sleeper. He doesn't wake to do a wee at night. More often than not he'll also poo in his sleep too. I don't know what to do. DH and I sort of said to ourselves that we'll give it til he starts school and then if there is no improvement then we'll take him to the GP to see if there's a physical problem. Since reading some threads, pit seems that poling in sleep is quite rare for his age so maybe I should take him sooner. It's really getting us down now.

No advice to offer, just sympathy. It's horrid. sad

AllOverIt Wed 05-Jan-11 08:25:09

Sorry 'it' and 'pooing'. Bloody IPad autocorrect.....

lovemysleep Fri 07-Jan-11 15:49:55

thanks everyone - alloverit, maybe a trip to the docs for us both to settle our minds! The pooing must be an extra worry though, as I haven't come across that much in my research. It's probably nothing to worry about - I can understand it getting you down. If you're like me, you don't want to make an issue out of it - but at the same time, you worry that something may be wrong!
Incidentally, my daughter managed 4 dry nights this week - then produced the wettest nappy ever last night!
Think I'm going to chart her dry nights on the calendar for a while, and then maybe go to the docs.
Hope things sort themselves out for your son soon

Ds is 6 and a half and not dry at night.

Medically no-one will want to do anything before the age of 8.

Dryness at night cannot be 'trained' children start producing a hormone between the ages of 2 and 8 that allows them to be so.

Dd was dry at night just before her second birthday and has never had an accident, so I have a child from each extreme end of the spectrum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now