Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding Advice please - newborn

(6 Posts)
loubaby1 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:54:45

DS was born yesterday! I'm so pleased to have him here but am not sure I'm feeding him right. I can't tell whether he's hungry or not, when he cries and I try and feed him he falls back asleep before I can or will only feed for 10 mins before sleeping again.
I'm worried this is because he's not getting any milk from me or this will mean he's not eating enough. We were told to wake him every 3 hours to feed but sometimes this is not possible, others he seems to be hungry every 40 mins but only feeds for 5 mins!

Any advice welcome!!

TheLogLadyMBE Tue 04-Jan-11 20:57:51

sounds like absolutely typical newborn behaviour.

Is he having wet and dirty nappies? does he seem settled after a feed? when you have a squeeze do you see colostrum appearing?

You might get more replies if you post again in the breast/bottle feeding section.

Congratulations BTW.

hellymelly Tue 04-Jan-11 21:00:17

Newborns do sleep a lot in the first few days,often they are tired after the birth.Your milk won't be in yet,so he will just be getting little amounts of colostrum,and as long as you are putting him onto the breast when ever he wakes and he is feeding for a little while,then all is well.He should have wet nappies too.He sounds fine to me.And...Congratulations!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 04-Jan-11 21:01:56

Congratulations!

That all sounds completely normal to me. Your milk won't have come in yet I don't expect so it's important that he is feeding often which it sounds like he is so that's good.
I would just carry on as you are as long as he is doing plenty of wet and dirty nappies.

stickersarecurrency Tue 04-Jan-11 21:06:45

Congratulations! It sounds like you are doing fine. At this stage it's best to offer the breast at every snuffle and squeak and go with the flow even if the feeding seems very frequent. Keep posting - and you will get more responses if you do that in the Breast and Bottle Feeding topic. Well done!

BongoWinslow Tue 04-Jan-11 21:17:31

Is there a Baby Cafe or feeding clinic near you? Might be worth going just for reassurance.

baby cafe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now